Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:33:08 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Body work question
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

My advice is to find a good body shop and have them do the work. They have the expertise and the tools to do it right – you don’t. I don’t have the skill either but my Uncle did before he got older – he’s in his 80s now - and I’ve seen him work miracles with many cars. He worked with Bondo or with lead, depending on the car.

Here’s how it’s done.

You need to pull / hammer out the steel until it’s just barely below the original. You can make a template from the other side to serve as a guide. Then you apply a very thin coat of body filler to bring the outside surface back out & sand smooth. This last step is usually done twice – one layer to get close and a second finish layer. Then they will computer match the paint, prime and spray. If done right you won’t have Bondo any thicker than 1/16” anywhere on the panel. Also, if done right it won’t look repaired, even to a body man.

But I’ve owned over 40 cars and have looked at probably thousands and I can say most don’t do it that way. Most would hammer in the ceased areas that protrudes out like the one next to your tail light. They will pull out the caved in area until it’s “close enough” and then they would just fill. The problem with doing it this way is thick Bondo cracks. I’ve peeled cracked Bondo off car’s that was over ¾” thick in some areas!

Tom

www.towercooler.com

I know very little about bodywork but I'm going to learn. I just put a question and photo on TheSamba about a dent in my left rear corner, feel free to take look. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5100715#5100715

Rob

becida@comcast.net Western Washington State, USA

_____