Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:39:44 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad plastic(s)
Comments: To: "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@OCOTILLOFIELD.NET>

At 11:13 AM 2/3/2011, Mark L. Hineline wrote: >I'm inclined to go with Karl's idea that the heat makes it worse. But

Heat makes most things worse. A rule of thumb I remember is that around room temperature, every 10C rise in temperature will double the speed of a reaction.

All non-rigid plastics contain "plasticizers," some of the more flexible ones like vinyl upholstery a third of their weight. It slowly evaporates - that's the nasty film that magically appears on the inside of your windshield and the plastic slowly gets less and less flexible and also smaller and smaller. That's what leads to the linear shrinkage of the plastic furniture trim in Westys.* High ambient temps increase the evaporation rate. I'm sure this is a major cause of embrittlement leading to failures at stress concentrations.

*In '82 I bought (in the face of all common sense) a '78 Plymouth Horizon. From a Plymouth dealer in New England, though I don't know where it had been before. All of the plastic door trim had shrunk several inches in length, and the steering wheel had shrunk to the extent of a 1/4 wide crack at the exact bottom, exposing the steel core. I'll spare you the rest of my Horizon rant.

VW has used a lot of ABS plastic (acrylic-butadiene-styrene) which has excellent impact resistance but is rated poor for UV resistance - so it's not terribly surprising that grilles and such on the outside where they're exposed to UV are getting brittle. However it has good ozone resistance. The Japanese mfrs seem to have gone heavily in the direction of softer plastics containing I'm pretty sure some amount of polyethylene (polythene in UK) which seems to have held up much better. Likewise their engineering resins for mechanical parts like steering column stalks contain some ingredient that adhesives don't like to stick to, and have proven very durable.

That being said, those door handles you mention are of a related polyethylene-containing compound, and the ones in Millee's Sally - a New Mexico van - look awful. They work fine but they're obtrusively scratched up. I've never seen a Toyota from New Mexico.

Their mechanical designers have been behind the curve IMO in designing mounting tabs and mounting surfaces to minimize mechanical stress, which is something that any plastic hates. *Most* mechanical engineers took a long time,* i.e. this was still a noticeable problem for example in small electronics up into the '90s, in developing fasteners and specifying post dimensions that would not lead to splitting of mounting posts in ABS/styrene and similar plastics. A split post can usually be laid to the mechanical engineer.

*I once read a long and fascinating article in Plastics yearbook, saying in detail that it was long past time that engineers stopped treating plastic like metal and started actually learning about it. That would have been mid '80s I think.

Many people do not realize that you only get to cut a thread in plastic once. You *may* get away with doing it a second time, but the third time you will probably lose. Usually this means the thread will strip out, but if the plastic has become brittle (and depending on the fastener) a post might split. It's very important to reinsert screws into the same thread that was originally cut, by reversing rotation until the screw drops into the thread and by being very conscious of any additional effort over what was required to remove the screw, and backing out and restarting if it's encountered. Sometimes it's too late, the original thread can't be found and you just have to keep going gently and pray.

Likewise it's a great temptation to overtighten fasteners on mounting tabs for the instrument panel, heater box and such.

And as Ben points out, kicking the stuff rarely helps it.

That being said, I've simultaneously owned Vanagons (total 3) and Toyotas (total 4 Corollas, 1 Camry and 1 H***da Accord) covering the same ages, and except for the vinyl dash pad the Toyotas simply do not have the inside plastic issues that the Vanagons do, nor do the outside fittings lose finish and become brittle the same way. Again, this is in New England, a fairly benign climate for plastics.* OTOH the Corollas all had/have sealed front running lights with a little rubber vent hose, and every one of those little hoses from '84 to '95 has rapidly perished. Every maker has their blind spots. In the case of the '98 Accord that would be their million-dollar electronically controlled transmission that nobody outside Japan (and maybe in, for all I know) can fix. Shudder.

*The '84 Vanagon was in Scotland until '92. Miserable climate for rust, but not bad for plastic, I think. Interestingly the rubber connector boots had perished by '92 much more than I expected and much more than my '89's have up to the present.

Yours, David