Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:15:31 -0500
From:         Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>
Subject:      Re: New to list and to Vanagons
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

I wondered about that funky box with the radio! I was told the AC worked before the engine was pulled, I think I have a spare compressor too. I'm not sure about springtime, I want to clean and paint everything engine wise before putting it back together and I'll need some warm weather for that. I'm planning on taking my time with it.

I thought the wheels were some kind of alloy but those are actually plastic wheel covers. I thought it was odd that a GL would have alloys, usually a GL is a stripper. I'll probably try to find some of the original flat center caps with the center logo for the steel wheels underneath.

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Wilford [mailto:kenwilfy@comcast.net] Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 2:01 PM To: Joe Luther Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: New to list and to Vanagons

Nice van! We owned one exactly like this except it was a watercooled 84 and an automatic. We called it Cocoa and it was a great little van! One cool thing I see is that you have the Behr aftermarket Air Conditioning installed in the van (that is why you have the central vents in place of the radio and the radio down under the dash in a special box. This is a rare find! I hope you can get her back on the road for fun this spring!

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

On 2/4/2011 1:34 PM, Joe Luther wrote: > Thanks! > > The paint is all original except for a rear corner which doesn't > appear to have any bondo and the glass stamps all match. Only rust > I've found is in the pass side step and the top of the rear bumper, > they never drove it in winter and it generally sat in a garage till > this guy got it 3 years ago. I should be trailering it home tomorrow > or sunday and I'm pretty excited about it. > > http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2163525316.html > > Here's the interior - I like the fact that the clutch and pedal pads > still have the VW logo clearly visible, they are barely worn. > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/jluther888/Vanagon/DSCI0328.jpg > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/jluther888/Vanagon/DSCI0333.jpg > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/jluther888/Vanagon/DSCI0334.jpg > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/jluther888/Vanagon/DSCI0332.jpg > > Joe > > _____ > > From: Jeff Lincoln [mailto:magikvw@gmail.com] > Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 1:20 PM > To: Joe Luther > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Re: New to list and to Vanagons > > > Woo Hooo!!!!!! Another MIdwesterner - Hello Joe and Welcome to the list! > > Best of luck on getting that engine back together and getting your new > Vanagon back on the road. > > You're in good hands here. > > Again welcome from a lister in MI - when you get a chance check out > www.busesbythebeach.org<http://www.busesbythebeach.org/> > > Would love to see the link to the CL ad. > > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '85 GL (Gertie) > '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) > '86 (We call this one Scrap) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >