Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:01:31 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Freeze Plugs was Oops - I let the engine freeze
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

re You’d think a hose would go first. "

assuming this is about freezing coolant and damage from expansion .. why would anyone think an rubber hose would fail from water freezing and expanding ? it's rubber.. rubber stretches nicely.

it's the hard parts.. the plastic ones for sure ...I can see those splitting easily.. they just fail from age and heat anyway sometimes.

Scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 8:42 AM Subject: Re: Freeze Plugs was Oops - I let the engine freeze

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com> wrote:

> You’d think a hose would go first. Unless the plug wasn’t quite seated > right or there was a bit of corrosion involved. >

And so would I. But a good mechanic had been working on the cooling system and it was tight. Tight enough that it had split the "H" pipe two days before. The whole thing was a story of blind leading the blind, bullheadednes on my part and severe ignorance of the WBX cooling system. And one of the reasons I'm on a bunch of Internet Vanagon lists (many of which didn't exist at that time) and read the list wisdom and keep notes and my current Westy runs like a top and I have a top mechanic that takes care of what I can't do. That '85 is now history (RIP after a roolover).