Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:23:46 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Freeze Plugs was Oops - I let the engine freeze
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

I know that a richer mix is run way up north. I'll look up what is recommended. Probably the 60:40 that you mention, rather than the 70:30 that I thought I remembered. I knew the part about too concentrated being undesirable, I just didn't remember for sure what the actual recommended in the cold lands is.

mcneely

---- Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM> wrote: > On Feb 4, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > ---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > >> never had the problem myself. > >> 50-50 mixture is so easy to have in there. > >> For most people if it's even 'sorta close' it's adequate. > >> > >> and since it should be in there year-round .. > >> it sure 'should' be in all cars, no excuse not too really. > > > > Well, the original poster's engine or other components likely did > > not freeze, but the engine probably experienced the too frequent > > leaking from the heads in cold weather that our vans are known for. > > But, he reported that the temperature was -25 F. Slightly too > > dilute a mixture, and microclimate variability in temperature, and > > freezing could be a possibility for any vehicle. If I lived in a > > climate where -25 was a possibility, I'd run Canadian mix rather > > than U.S. At least I think I would. Back when I was a kid, in > > Dallas, in my family we ran 50:50 at a time when it was not yet the > > common recommendation. Some folks still ran denatured alcohol in > > car engines in winter at that time, and others drained the radiator > > and block on cold nights. I knew more than one person whose car > > block froze. My father thought that was simple carelessness, and we > > ran 50:50 ethylene glycol. > > Sorry folks. Living where we are about guaranteed to see -20 deg. F at > least a couple times a year means that I KNOW about coolant/ > antifreeze. A couple years ago, I believed as many of you seem to. > More is better. Not so. I was the guy that made it 3 miles out of > town before the h pipe failed. About 80% ethylene glycol. Frozen solid. > > You want a 50:50 mix. Too much ethylene glycol raises the freezing > point. Too little ethylene glycol raises the freezing point. 50:50. > Dow Chemical says 60:40 is that absolutely richest. > > See the linked article. > > http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/680.html > > "Actually, this is to be expected when one considers that ethylene > glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 > degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that > the freezing point is depressed. The freezing point of an ethylene > glycol and water mixture drops rapidly as the concentration of glycol > is increased to a mixture of about 60% antifreeze and 40% water. > Around that point, an abrupt turnabout occurs, and as more antifreeze > is added, the freezing point rises almost as fast as it had previously > dropped." > > Jim > (deep in the (remember the Oregon Trail game?) Blue Mountains)

-- David McNeely