Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:53:29 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: cranky when wet
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>

Clean the plug wire dizzy ends to bright metal. Same with connections on dizzy cap (¼” drill with steel wool wrapped around it works well). Coat liberally with dielectric gel. Reassemble. Report back.

Karl Wolz

_____

Howdy List,

I've got an 83 air cooled vanagon that runs great but occasionally starts roughly when wet. If it sits for a while in heavy rain it is slow to start and sort of mis-fires or misses when it first cranks then it stumbles and as it hits higher rpms (1500 and up) it clears it's throat so to speak and then runs normally/great.

In the past week the van has been sitting and the last day or two have seen a lot of rain, at times heavy. Tonight I went out to start the van and it would turn over fine but not hit at all. I smelled a bit of gas when I went back to open the engine lid and also tried to start it with fuel turned off and the throttle open for a while to see if it was flooded. I can do this because I have a fuel shut-off under the dash for security and high-altitude cold starting. In any case, turning the fuel off didn't make any difference and the van was still not hitting and only spinning rapidly over at any throttle and with fuel off and on. I did notice the tach needle jumping a small bit. I then checked for power at the coil which was good, and I checked the opening/closing of the ignition points with an ohm meter while hand-turning the engine which looked fine. I also checked for fuel pressure by opening the bleeder in between 3 and 4 and it looked like there was pressure/fuel. After that I inspected the harness and noticed that the section running to the jetronic box is getting pretty wet under the air cleaner. I relocated it to above the canister vent lines to get it up a bit but wasn't able to do much there. After playing around with the harness etc. though when I went to try it again it started to hit a bit. After lots of trying (try for 10 seconds or so then wait a few minutes for close to ten minutes) it finally started and soon after was running great. Good thing I have a newish battery, starter etc.

Also, even though I think that the van was getting plenty of fuel I wasn't able to confirm it since I don't have a remote start hooked up and was doing this troubleshooting alone. I also don't really know if it was getting spark or not.

The van has never done more than start roughly when wet so this was the first time it has done this exactly. I'm guessing that the way the van was parked or the amount of rain were just right for it to either not have spark or less likely enough fuel. What I don't know is how to fix the problem. Have any of you dealt with symptoms like this? Is it an ignition component problem, a wiring harness problem, the ecu, other? It was annoying when the van occasionally started rough but now that I know it can prevent starting at all I intend to get to the bottom of the issue and fix it somehow. Any suggestions or similar experiences appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan Poole '83 AC Westy

_____