Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:30:35 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      =?windows-1252?Q?Trip_report_=26_Pictures_=96_Newfoundland_from_Virgini?=
              =?windows-1252?Q?a?=

I am finally posting a report and pictures from our 2009 summer trip to Newfoundland. Numerous tips posted by list members helped make for a wonderful trip and I hope some of this information adds to those tips.

First of all, Newfoundland has incredible scenery and great people and we thoroughly enjoyed our 3+ weeks and 2,746 miles on “the rock.” Put a trip to Newfoundland on your “bucket list” if you love beautiful scenery and don’t need a lot of big towns.

While some of you may wish to save time and take a ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia, we choose instead to drive through New Brunswick and then into Nova Scotia.

We tend to take each day as it comes and generally don't plan very far ahead. If possible, make your ferry reservations ahead of time. We waited to the last minute to make our reservation from North Sydney, NS to Port aux Basques, NL and had to wait 4 days to catch a ferry and we were told to make our return reservation 7 days in advance to catch a ferry from Argentia back to North Sydney, which we did. We anticipated these delays so were not inconvenienced, but be aware. Link to ferry: " http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/schedule/pabnsy.asp"

Before your trip, call (1-888-588-6353) or go online to the Department of Tourism for Newfoundland and Labrador and have them mail you a “Traveler’s Map” and “Traveler’s Guide” http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/PlanYourTrip/TravelBrochures ,

Also if possible, get a copy of, “Trails to the Vikings”, “Where It’s At”, “The Kittiwake Coast”, “Discovery Trail”, and “Destination St. John’s”. While you can pick these up at information centers like we did, it is really nice to have them on hand as you decide where to go and what interest you. Be aware that their descriptions of places, museums, etc., are usually exaggerated as to their importance or quality. In some cases, museums were closed, campsites were non-existent, etc.

While we don't normally use commercial campgrounds, we spent the night before catching the ferry from North Sydney to Port aux Basques at Arm of Gold which is the nearest campground to the ferry terminal. http://www.armofgoldcamp.com/home.html We were at the ferry terminal at 6:10 in line, but the ferry ran 3 hours late that morning – from what we were told, that is not unusual.

The night before catching the ferry from Argentia back to North Sydney, we stayed at Argentia Seabreeze RV Park.

Overall, the roads in Newfoundland were in very good shape, but there was a lot of road work going on. We found highway 1 in Maine to be in much worse shape than most roads in Newfoundland.

Many locals warned us about driving at night because of the possibility of hitting a moose and we saw a highway sign saying there had been 660 moose collisions the previous year. Other than one time trying hard to get to a certain place, we followed that advice. We saw a good many moose on the side of the road in the daytime and on some hikes.

In parts of Newfoundland, there are roadside vegetable gardens. When a road was built, people from nearby towns would plant family gardens along the roadway. Imagine driving along a road with no homes and the next town 5 miles away and by the side of the road is a small garden with a little rail fence around it. Some gardens were pretty elaborate and others were fairly neglected.

One big surprise was the number of snowmobile trails, roads, etc. from one part of the island to another. There are even directional and road signs for those trails. Wow!

We were a little late (July 25th) in the summer to see a lot of icebergs--I think we needed to be in the iceberg areas in early July or late June.

There are plenty of places to camp—side of road, commercial, provincial, and national. We bought a provincial campground pass for $20 and stayed at numerous provincial campgrounds.

We ate a lot of fish and tried local favorites such as cod tongues, Fisherman's Brewis, etc.

Our three favorite campsites were as follows and are listed in order of our stay.

*Boutte du Cap Parc at Cape St. George** * --- See O2 on the “Traveler’s Map”. This is a local park with no facilities—a sign indicated they planned to add bathrooms in the future. There were no designated campsites but that may have changed since there were survey stakes which looked as if they were mapping out roads, etc. There is a “bread oven” and you can call if you wish to use it. We parked on the overlook and watched Minke whales from the van in the evening and in the morning while enjoying our coffee. This was only our 2nd night in Newfoundland and we both agreed that if we had to go home that day, the trip from Virginia would have worth it. It was incredibly scenic and beautiful. There is a hiking trail nearby with absolutely stunning scenery. Several locals came to watch the whales that evening but we were the “only” campers in the entire site.

*Ocean View Campground in Leading Tickles* – see K15 on the “Travelers Map”. This is a locally run campground with the cleanest bathrooms/showers you will find. Stunning views of the bay from some campsites. Site #10 is what you want if you need electricity and #6 is what you want if you don’t need services. There is a short hike to an overlook where we watched whales. This is a very out of the way camping area but well worth it. If you want site #6 or #10, you should call ahead and make reservations. We just lucked up in that one of the sites was open on the day we arrived.

*Seabreeze Municipal Park in Sleepy Cove* – see J16 on the “Travelers Map”. Unless they have added signs, this is hard to find. After leaving Twillingate, drive to Long Point Lighthouse at the end of the road for beautiful scenery. After leaving the lighthouse, take the first right at the bottom of the steep hill. While the sign only indicates a hiking trail, this is the place Paul Guzyk posted about. There are absolutely stunning views even from the lower level camping area where we stayed. The road to the higher level campsites was badly washed out and even had we been in a Syncro, the road was unusable. We walked up the road and the campsites had unbelievable views and isolation. The park was in really rough shape and while they had an outhouse, it was the roughest one we have encountered in all of our travels.

I won’t bore you with all the details of getting to Newfoundland, where we stayed on our way to Newfoundland, every place we stopped and every campground while in Newfoundland, etc., but will let pictures speak for themselves. Be warned, there are a lot of pictures but there is so much to see in Newfoundland that I wanted to give you an overall view. I wish I were a photographer so I could do the beauty of the "the rock" justice.

Link to pictures: " https://picasaweb.google.com/teerhb/TripToNewfoundlandIn2009#"

If you have questions, just ask.

Harold ___ Harold Teer 1991 Westy (Vangaux) Harrisonburg, VA