Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:50:20 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spare 2.1 engine - how big can I make it?
Comments: To: Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>

Joe, not 'too vanagon' ...just 'subaruvanagon' ..but .. is it a DOHC 2.5 .. or is it a SOCH 2.5 ?

the DOHC 2.5 does have 'more' of a head gasket issue than most subaru engines. And .. on used subaru engines with the typical 100+ K miles .. it's always better to replace the head gaksets... on all models of 1990 and later 4 and 6 cylinder engines .. up to the SVX anyway .. can't say about the 3.0 H6 in that regard.. but 'it's not uncommon' for subaru engines to need new head gaksets.

and on the DOHC 2.5 near as I can tell.. their valve clearances are almost never checked until there's a problem .. they use shims and it's a tricky job to deal with them with the engine in a subaru car. I recently found 6 of 8 exhaust valve clearances tighter than spec.

the valve clearnace shims btw.. for a VW diesel they cost a buck or two.. for the DOHC 2.5 ( commonly seen in 97 and 98 Outbacks ) they cost almost $ 11 each !

now that I think about it .. I suspect your engine is a SOCH 2.5. Many people don't realize those have adjustable rocker arm screws .. just like an old VW. they also have roller cam followers.. which is what all more modern engines designed for oil with less zinc in it ( which is almost all car oils now ) have . Done well, the subauru engine option is very, very rewarding in a vanagon. it's 'more' of everything .. more power, more throttle response, another 1,000 rpm to play with, better fuel economy. Knock sensor ignition with no distributor etc. The parts are expensive, very, but you usually only have to buy them once, like say a timing belt or some guide wheels for it.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Luther" <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:22 AM Subject: Re: Spare 2.1 engine - how big can I make it?