Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:16:18 -0800
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wes.neuenschwander@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Totaled '88 Wolfsburg Value?  (Seattle, WA area)

A good friend a neighbor recently had his '88 Vanagon (Wolfsburg Edition) totaled in a crash in North Seattle. He was driving to work (on a quiet residential street) about 6:30 in the morning when a guy - fleeing from an earlier collision, just a few blocks away (with the original victim in pursuit!) - rounded the corner at high speed and hit my friend's van head on. (You may have seen pictures of the accident on the local news last week; it was fairly spectacular). Fortunately, while the perp also fled this accident, the damage to his vehicle was sufficiently severe that the car died a couple of blocks away (after leaving a trail of ATF and coolant down the street) where he was arrested. Amazingly, my friend was not seriously injured, but the van was completely totaled.

My friend is now in a battle with the insurance agency to determine 'fair market value' for his loss. As you NW'ers know, Vanagons are highly prized in this area, and bluebook values vastly understate the true (i.e. fair market) value of these vehicles.

If anyone in the Seattle area has copies of recent adds for '88 Vanagons or other information about recent offers to sell or actual purchases that could be useful in establishing a fair insurance settlement price, or indeed any information or suggestions about how to proceed, it would be much appreciated.

Here are the particulars for my friends Vanagon (ex-Vanagon):

'88 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition 2 WD. Approximately 250K. Recently rebuilt transmission and new heads, radiator and water pump. Custom alloy wheels The body and vehicle in general were in impeccable condition (my friend owns a body shop specializing in high-end European autos and is an excellent mechanic)

Feel free to email me with any info directly: wneuetc@gmail.com

Again, many thanks!

-Wes