Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:16:40 -0800
From:         Paul <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Hot Cat RESOLVED

Thanks to all that chimed in, I'm pretty sure I tried just about everything that was suggested. This morning I installed a spare cat/muffler unit with the cat hollowed out. I figured at worst case I at least wouldn't have the limited exhaust flow to help bog me down. And for the most part it didn't on my way to work. But it still wasn't running right. So at lunch time I started up the Vanagon and one by one did it with a different spark plug wire disconnected each time and low and behold the last one I tried had no effect on the way it was previously running. I had a spare coil to distributor cap wire and it was long enough for me to rig it to the #4 cylinder and it sounded so nice, purr-fect. So it ended up being a faulty spark plug wire. I have to admit it has been a while since I changed them but when everything is running so fine the last thing on my mind is to mess around with the setup under the lid. I bought a new set of wires from AutoZone on the way home, swapped them all out and life is good again. Now I need to figure out if my stuffed cat is still good, actually two of them. I should have done the hollowed out one the first time I changed the exhaust but hind site is 20/20. Thanks again to everyone, now I can finish up the stuff on my work truck and stop using the Vanagon as a daily driver. I have to admit for a 26 year old rig it's holding it's own, heck NOW it's probably running better than most older vehicles on the road. But of course I'm a bit biased. Good night, Paul