Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:08:49 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine running COLD
Comments: To: Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@GMAIL.COM>

Gregg, I would think simply that there is no thermostat, or that it is stuck open. I don't know any way to be sure without pulling the housing, but I can't imagine anything else that would keep the thing from warming up. I guess there are some sensor situations that would make it think it was warm, but then the gauge should think so, too. Thermostat. mcneely

---- Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hey list, > > I finally got my new (to me) van earlier this week. Picked up a 90 Westy to > replace my 85 Westy that my wife and I sold a few years back. Have to say > I've missed having a Vanagon and glad to be back in one. > > So, as no suprise, I have a laundry list of repairs and maintenance to take > care of (the 4 different car tires is another story...), but the one that > has me a little stumped is that the engine runs cold. By cold I mean the > needle barely comes off the bottom of the scale, if at all. > > I'm in Northern Virginia, so its just below freezing most of the time > lately. The symptoms I've got are the temp warning light flashes when the > van first starts and stays flashing for several minutes, then goes out. The > needle never makes it off the bottom of the scale, unless I've driven for > about 20-30 minutes and then stop and idle for a while. Then it will rise > just off the bottom of the scale, but never get up to running temp. > > Took a 3 hour round trip up to visit Dave O. in Maryland the yesterday and > same thing. The van never got up to temp. Never got anything but warm air > out of the front heater. The rear heater was a 'above-warm' but never hot. > > Since I've seen SOME movement on the scale, I'm thinking the temp > guage/sensor is okay. The PO said he never had any problems with it. Now, > since this was a Miami van all its life, I'm suspecting the PO pulled the > thermostat. > > Any thoughts about what might be causing the low temp I'm seeing? Any way to > check for a thermostat without pulling coolant hoses (and making a mess)? > > Thanks, > Gregg > 90 Westy (finally!)

-- David McNeely