Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:53:12 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternative Part & Design to Bosal Diesel Exhaust Hanger?
              (15* I4 Jetta engine)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

Hey hey .. > all right, someone who patches their mufflers ! > lol. ( thought I was the only one ) . > And I don't normally these days. >

yah the muffler cracked at end where inlet pipe enters. Hitting boulder crammed the muffler into the plate of my "beautiful" engine carrier. This bent the inlet pipe possibly weakening the metal, hastening the crack. Hopefully that's why it cracked as my last exhaust setup seemed to be staying crack free. I'll weld the crack, a plate over end, and brace inlet pipe to muffler body. I've seen braces on some brand of either the 1.9 or 2.0 WBX muffler.

Repainting that plate might fit into my schedule. <grin>

(look closely and you can see where paint got scraped off my home made engine carrier. Oh the irony!):

http://tinyurl.com/4eohksd

> > Glass pack mufflers eventually loose their muffling ability on a gas > non-turbo engine due the fiberglass deteriorating ......the fiberglass > getting filled with carbon or exhuast crude or oil, so I don't use them on > gas engines. >

Good to know and why. Thanks.

I really like my Walker Quiet Flow but am not sure about quality. (my mistakes not withstanding)

The first is 'ala diesel vanagon' .. > the exhaust system has no flex juncions in it, and is mounted on rubber > mounts at the left and right across the rear, to the engine. The whole > thing is attached to the engine only. > ( a variation is a flex junction in the header pipe .. > usually before it turns to go across the rear where the cat and muffler > are. >

This is similar to what I had: 3 DV mounts and a flex joint pre cat. I installed a flex joint since stock Jetta engine uses flex bellows at exhaust flange. I obviously didn't install that part. Jetta downpipe image: http://tinyurl.com/4pme3os

> there's one tdi sycnro vanagon I've had to work on a few times .. > I noticed the engine conversion guy's exhaust system right away. He comes > off the turbo with a big curving pipe, there's a flex junction, then the > pipe turns and enters a fairly huge muffler hung on rubber hangers in two > sports across the back, then a huge dong of a tail pipe sticking down and > quite unartistically to me. > > for hangers to attach the rubber things to, he welded those jetta springey > C shaped clamp things ...where the top of the header pipe, that's bell > shapped, is spring-clamped to the exh manifold on a jetta.. > Those C things were just welded to the body, and the bare metal where it > was welded wasn't even painted. > >

> I got a real laugh seeing the exhaust hanger, in the posted pics here, > strapped to a rear tow loop . -:) > thanks , I needed that. >

Glad to oblige. ;)

I recall mention of that TDI exhaust. Sounds uglier than mine!

That rear tow loop et al was a parking lot repair during my Olympic Peninsula Fall trip. Shoulda repaired it before heading out on last trip. I can't say for sure, but suspect that using such stiff hangers may have contributed to muffler cracking at inlet pipe.

(cheap aftermarket Fox engine mounts allowing engine vibes to transmit through body, stiff hangers, then onto exhaust?)

As per Dons comments not long ago, I noticed a significant increase in engine noise to body with this parking lot fix.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines