Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:01:31 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust collector bolt/nut sizes
Comments: To: Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@GMAIL.COM>

8mm nuts and bolts. the thread pitch is M8 X 1.25 common hardware store item, a good hardware store.

others may not agree but I would not use stainless bolts myself. they are not stronger. stainless is 'weird' in a way ....not it would happen in this application ..but if one breaks off you'd have a very hard time drilling it out , like in a cylinder head say ...though those that do say they unscrew just fine later. Stainless is just a less workable metal than normal steel.

I would expect the nuts if stuck or rusted ( stainless can rust - it's not titanium even though people think it is ) .....expect it to respond to heating with a torch to unscrew the nut ..so probalby ok there.

I often keep servicable original parts in service. Sometimes the mdoern versions arn't as good as, or exactly alike, the original ones. If yours is all corroded to 'not very recongizable' ...of course ..replace it.

I also very strong believe in 'take apart FIRST' ..then get after the needed parts.

beats me why people would gather parts first , then take something apart to fix it. It's potentially less down time that way of course .. but very often it's not what you thought it was, which you learn when you take it apart.

I also don't believe 'all new everything automatically' gets the best result. Many new parts are not as good as the original ones. I just like to get the use out of them if they still have good life left in them too.

send me your old good collector and I'll make a vanagon happy with it somewhere. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregg Carlen" <gregg.carlen@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 1:21 PM Subject: Exhaust collector bolt/nut sizes