Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:34:09 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust collector bolt/nut sizes
Comments: To: Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@gmail.com>

Gregg -

While other posts debate the good and bad of stainless hardware (of which I am in the camp of good ole original 1 time use and not stainless), no one has really fully answered your size question adequately. I offer the following, complete with VW numbers:

Collector to Header Pipe N01024416 8x30 (13mm Hex) Bolt Qty 4

Collector to Collector Pipe Going to Cat N01036112 8x65 (13mm Hex) Bolt Qty 3 N90095501 8x15 Flat Washer Qty 3 Note: Place these on the "nut" side Note: I have used N01152520 8x16 Flat Washer 025251200 8mm Concave Washer Qty 3 Note: Place these on the "nut" side Note: I have used N0122282 8x17 "Wavy Washers" 311101463 8mm (13mm Hex) Locking Hex Nut Qty 3

Collector Pipe to Cat Converter N01034510 8x45 (13mm Hex) Bolt Qty 3 311101463 8mm (13mm Hex) Locking Hex Nut Qty 3

Cat Converter to Muffler N01024416 8x30 (13mm Hex) Bolt Qty 3 N01152520 8x17 Flat Washer Qty 3 Note: Place these on the "nut" side 311101463 8mm (13mm Hex) Locking Hex Nut Qty 3

All above fits 86-91

Exhaust Hardware Class 101 dismissed :) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@gmail.com> wrote: > On my 90 Westy, I'm planning tomorrow to replace the exaust collector > (Bentley calls it an Exhaust manifold, P.26.9) along with the 3 gaskets. As > with any exhaust that's lived past its useful life, the nuts and bolts will > have to be cut off. Anyone know what the sizes are of the 7 bolts/nuts that > hold this thing to the associated pipes? Bentley shows them, but I can't > find an indication of what size they are. I've got to pick some up at FLAPS > or my local Napa, stainless steel, I would assume if I can. > > In case your wondering, I really think its only the donut seal that's bad, > but that collector isn't looking very good, so I'm just going to replace it > along with the gaskets anyway. Strangley enough, the rest of the pipes (and > cat/muffler) look in good shape. > > TIA, > Gregg > 90 Westy