Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:48:47 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Yes it was a DH. In fact, the serial number matched what was in the original owners & service booklets in the glove box. I have very good documentation on my Westy back to the original owner, whom I have corresponded with in the past. He was surprised when I wrote him a letter about the vehicle several years ago. He was still at his original address in Hemet, CA :) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > Did the engine case have a DH code on it ? > > you can't really tell visually which it is unless you see the case engine > number, right  below the oil tower thing. > I had an 85 that was a decent runner. > it was an automatic and the parts I had to convert it to manual trans > included a  DK trans and linkage. > That trans was noisy.. > it finally failed, the supposed expert who put in another trans put in a DZ > from a diesel vanagon , > then  I think my friend using the van drove it at 65 with that trans, > resulting in the ventilated case syndrome. > good ole # 3 .. > figured it was just a blown 1.9 .. > later I saw that it was an MV case.. ..a 2.1.. > a decent 'rebuilt in Canada for VW of America' rebuilt too.  Wasn't too > happy about that engine getting wasted. > > and to confuse things ...a 1.9 case can be assembled with a 2.1 crank in it, > making it a 2.1 really. > > but really ...look at the case number, otherwise it could be either. > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Old Volks Home" <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 2:47 PM > Subject: Re: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver > > > When I bought my otherwise immaculate 84 Westy in 1997 for the > princely sum of $1K, it had a fist sized hole in the top of the 1.9 > case.  #2 rod bent 90 degrees and the piston was in a million pieces > throughout the case.  Camshaft was in 3 pieces too. > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" > Full Timing Since March 1999 > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > *********************************** > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Mark Dearing <VWBrain@aol.com> wrote: >> >> In a message dated 2/10/2011 11:59:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, >> jrasite@EONI.COM writes: >> >> In my observation.... >> >> I've never seen a 1.9 in the boneyard with a hole in the case. I've never >> seen a 2.1 without one. >> >> Draw your own conclusions. >> >> Jim >> >> >> >> hey Jim I had a 1.9L with a hole thur the top that still ran, you could >> look into the case and watch the crank going around. drove it into the >> shop to fix it later mark d