Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:54:58 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: camping amidst bears, safety question
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> I like that 'misremembered' .. > I'll have to keep that handy for future use. > > that's almost as good as 'mispoke'.. > I mispoke when I said there's only one kind of AMC head for both wbxr > engines .. > but I'm sure I didn't misremember that someone once wrote that on a forum > like this. > > well I'll be.. > misspeak, > misspoke, > and misremember, > are all recongized by dictionary.com.

Followed by a treatise on his preference for proper English usage (it is my preference also).

For what it is worth, "misremember" is entered in my copy of _The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary_, copyright 1971 by the Oxford University Press. The definition given is "To remember wrongly, imperfectly, or incorrectly; to have an imperfect recollection of." The earliest written usage cited by the OED was in 1533 A.D., and a series of usages up until modern times is given. Kind of a nice book, that OED, for those of us who like proper usage.

The OED has a long series of "mis this and mis that" words. Misspeak and misspoke are not among them, but they may be coming up.

"Misremember" seems like a good word.

Yes, Scott, Americans mangle language more than any other population except the English, I believe. And we have abysmal educational attainment, even for those who hold diplomas and other evidence of completing prescribed courses.

What do we do about it? Seems the answer to everything these days is "cut taxes." Do you think that will help?

Thanks for your missive. It was interesting, if not altogether amusing. It might be, if it weren't so sad.

mcneely