Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:58:15 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: camping amidst bears, safety question

My wife and I stayed at that BC campground in about that same time frame. It was a little disturbing on our walks, as we passed through various pedestrian gates with rubber handles and at times we could not be sure whether we were on the protected side of the electrified fence or the human picnic side.

This past summer we camped in our Vanagon for 6 weeks, Alaska, Yukon, BC. We cooked our meals inside the van other than most meat which I cooked outside. We spent about 30 nights in campgrounds with assorted dire bear warnings and a bunch more nights camped in the wild, such as along the Denali Highway and Dalton Highway. We saw lots of bears, both kinds, but never in our camps. We had some long hikes alone with varying amounts of bear activity in evidence on the trails but again we never saw any bears on those trails. We did have bear bells and bear spray and several nervous moments passing through torn up berry patches. On some trails we saw hikers with bear spray supplements, of the 6 round type, in holsters on the same belt as their pepper spray. I was surprised by this but not bothered. More like envious.

It was after we got back that I heard about the deadly bear rampage in Montana while we were gone and I then researched the news stories to learn what I could about the incident. It is disturbing to read from the wildlife experts on the scene that the people did everything right and still suffered attacks. I saw numerous stories that discussed the food storage issues and which said the campers were deemed not to have violated proper food procedures that night. This is where that linked NPR print story seems to fall short. No mention of the import detail that the attacks occurred in spite of positive human efforts to comply with food storage standards. Why did they leave that out?

Mark

Richard Koerner wrote: > About 6 years ago, I stayed at a real nice campground near Lake Louise in Banff National Park, Canada. They had a very fancy electric fence around the campground that looked like it meant business...Gulp!...must have had some agressive bear problems in the past. Only time I've seen that. Can't recall if they had a gate, too....but they must have. > > (PS Was also a weird sensation to be able to read a newspaper at 10:30 at night outdoors with no artificial light during the summer...that's the furthest north I've ever been.) > > Rich > San Diego >