Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:44:52 -0800
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: camping amidst bears, safety question

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:58:15 -0800 Mark ably typed:

My wife and I stayed at that BC campground in about that same time frame…….

…….I saw numerous stories that discussed the food storage issues and which said the campers were deemed not to have violated proper food procedures that night. This is where that linked NPR print story seems to fall short. No mention of the import detail that the attacks occurred in spite of positive human efforts to comply with food storage standards. Why did they leave that out?

With tongue in cheek Mark, why did the Bears not follow the expert human (Parks) procedures? The humans had followed the current procedures. Perhaps shows how little, humans understand Bears. No trace and Bare Camp-Site procedures help the Human - Bear interactions but, are not without some significant level of uncertainty. My best guess, NPR rejects or gives no credence to the human arrogance that asserts… we (humans) understand Bears?

Dogs, Bear Spray, Weapons and Rangers do their best. Occasionally, their best fails to provide the desired result. As Al asserted, when in the wilderness, humans are the visitors and a free easy food source.

As an aside: Loren and I had a rare experience of photographing a very large Griz foraging around a Glacier Park (USA side) Saint Mary's campground. The Bear stayed away from us…. hah! Next morning, a huge pile of bear scat had been dropped ~ 2 feet in front of our Vanagons as we slept peaceably…. Who was photographing who?

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC Baring Bears… in the rain.