Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:02:17 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charging system questions.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thank you,

An update on this issue:

I tested and decided that my Aux batt was behaving poorly so I replaced that battery with another, new one, identical to what I have been running all along..GP 42 NAPA batteries. This new replacement battery turned out to be defective, too. NAPA replaced that one, after a bit of head scratching and some 'waffleing" by the NAPA store guy, who 'wanted' my problem to be MY problem...some fault in the charging system or the wiring. Some careful testing and diagnostics showed the new battery was not accepting a charge properly....he gladly replaced that one, but he had to be convinced the new one came from his distributor with a defect.

During this time, I also got a new voltage regulator, which brought my charging rate, at the starter battery terminals up to 13.7v, and I kept the other regulator as a spare.

Now I again have full electrical power storage...to run my Sat. radio in the AM and to keep my electronic widgets charged. A 10 mile drive...about 15min charging time..seems to keep the aux battery up.

So be aware that like any other part...a battery can come from the store with a problem sometimes...As Scott says, the first thing you should check if you encounter a problem in your van is the last thing you just 'fixed' or worked on...and all the stuff that is attached to that thing..

Don Hanson