Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:16:38 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: camping amidst bears, safety question
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I too have been aided by dogs along in the back country. When hiking in the Absoroka range, on the east side of the Paradise Valley north of Yellowstone, our two Chesapeake retrievers got very very spooky acting....they came in close to us, back hair standing up sharply and tails straight up with interest and aggression...We crested a rise and found fresh steaming bear scat beside the trail...This is the spot where the Park Service 're-locates' problem bears out of Yellowstone. We decided to reverse our direction on the trail to avoid a possible (probable?) confrontation with what may have been a problem grizzly....Our dogs are quite familiar with regular black and brown bears and do not fear them....but their behavior on this occasion was different, more intense...And, the season was late fall, when bears are pretty active trying to bulk up for winter... Don Hanson