Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:06:38 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine running COLD
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Metal thermostat housing replacement for the plastic one.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1191_680/aluminumthermostat_housing_kit.html

This might be a fix for a leaking or damaged thermostat housing.

When my plastic coolant distributor on the right side of my '88 van just in front of the engine failed, I installed a metal replacement distributor. I've been very happy with it.

Old plastic vs new metal - something to think about.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 2/13/2011 9:48 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Stuck open, missing, or drilled out thermostats are all indications of > prevailing overheating problems. When you get the replacement check that it > does not have any bleeder or bypass opening in the top disc and there should > actually be a rubber seal on the top inner disk. The Vanagon has a lot of > cooling capacity and for cold weather operation the thermostat has to have > no bypass at all for the engine to worm up. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Gregg Carlen > Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 4:24 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Engine running COLD > > Thanks Scott, et al, > > I've got an 87deg thermostat on the way from Bus Depot, so that will go in > soon. I think I've convinced myself that this is either a stuck-open > thermostat, or, more likely missing altogether. Soon as I have the new > thermostat in hand, I'll open the housing and put the new one in. Hopefully > there's no suprises when I open it up. > > Thanks for all the advice! > Gregg > 90 Westy > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans< > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >