Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:40:37 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant sludge?
Comments: To: David White <sirgrumpsalot@GMAIL.COM>

I've seen all kinds of sludged up waterboxer engines or whatever.. As long as the essential failure point is repaired properly .. and there are no other little near-failures in the rest of the van .. quite some parts in total there of course , 'usually' they will do well with a good cleaning out and a good batch of fresh coolant and addtives.

generally it's not a good idea to mix anti-freeze types.

and it depends on the condition of the rest of the engine .. how good the bottom end is, now good oil pressure is, total miles etc.

and I always have a valve job done on the heads at the same time as doing head gaskets.

if the engine is bascially solid, often a good cooling system clean-out and freshen up .. vavle job and head gaskets, and make sure the t-stat makes it run up to temp, radiator fan works...heaters work well, etc. usually they can be just fine after good work on those things.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David White" <sirgrumpsalot@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:11 PM Subject: Coolant sludge?