Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:13:21 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons in the desert SW...and a short rant off topic.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

wow, Don, you sure got off on this. but .............. didn't know you and I thought so much alike. lol. DMc

---- Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > We've been near the Salton Sea now since around Xmas...I have my Vanagon > and we also have a travel trailer..we are dry camping on some public lands. > > This past week in the small town I have seen two syncros and about 4 > normal westies, some with hippie paintjobs (artwork on the outside). Both > the syncros sounded pretty sick...that "WBX-out of tune-maybe on > 3-cylinders" sound.. I met the one couple, cyclists from Big Sur...quite > wealthy and a bit stand-offish, very proud of their 'collector' Syncro..but > not real Vanagon Nuts..One guy, with a 'nekid lady' and other stuff > airbrushed on the side of his 90's 2wd westie...he is a full-timer from > N.M. near Taos or somewhere... > > The real 'trendy' small rigs of choice seem to be long and low > Sprinter-based...Airstream, and other brands...Dozens of these around...many > of them camp right in the parking lots in town...guess they don't want em > dusty or something...Much more reasonable to drive around than some of the > Mega-Motorcoaches the blue-hair set seems to favor...but pretty low to the > ground and they look suited to RV parks more than to camping as in actually > camping, without cords, pavement and hook-ups. > > Being in Snow-bird Land for High Season....I have seen some pretty > sketchy driving in the larger Mega RVs....the ones with half a dozen pop-out > rooms. When you see the drivers emerge sometimes, down the power > stairs...could be a 100lb little old lady, but more likely it will be a > knobby-kneed fellow with a straw Stetson and gabardine plaid Bermuda shorts > from Calgary or somewhere in the frozen north...you wonder if that person > really has a clue as to how to safely maneuver that large of a vehicle > around....Riding my bicycle up Montezuma Grade nearby, a 4000' vertical pass > with tight switchbacks and a constant 8% average grade...The smell of > burning brakes is pervasive...though the big ones all seem to make it down > safely..most of the time. > > Now a bit of rant...I f hate generators! Why do people simply ignore > the fact that their generator WILL make noise that others may not want to > listen to? > > Early on this snowbird season, when there were few 'campers' in the desert, > you could hear owls, coyotes, wind in the desert, etc etc....But way too > often, some jerk will come and park his motorcoach or camper very very > close...even when there are hundreds of square miles of empty and identical > desert with unlimited empty camping spots, all around...and the first thing > they do is fire up a noisy cheap Briggs and Stratton generator...and leave > it running all day and all night....Clue-less! > For the ability to avoid terrain that allows others to come camp way too > close and run the generators they bring....it would be worth owning a Syncro > Westie....Winch yourself up onto a rock somewhere where the Generator People > could not get near....

-- David McNeely