Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:20:12 -0500
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brushes? Re: Hot start problem
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@foxinternet.net>

Hey Zoltan,

That's a good point and is surely true in many situations. It was one of the first things that I checked when I started having this problem a few years ago and yes my brushes were short. I stretched the springs a bit and cleaned things up etc. but didn't notice any change. Perhaps I didn't do a good job and then the replacement starter had the same problem? If that is the case I don't think that I would have seen the big improvements that I've seen from changes that increased the voltage at the starter. For instance the replacing the cable from battery to starter took me from almost never being able to start when hot to almost always being able to start when hot.

Most systems on the van seem complicated enough for problems like this to have plenty of different sources. My experience with VW's over the last 15 or so years has shown that to be true at least.

Jonathan Poole