Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:08:21 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

So are you saying the 2.1L WBX is more prone to a rod through the block than a 1.9L engine is?

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 2/9/2011 11:03 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Of course while raising the compression makes a bit more power and > efficiency. It also raises the ability to knock and ping and increases NOx > production. In the extreme you will also have a much better chance of > melting pistons. 1.9 and 2.1 engines are the same bore. The stroke is > different and the pistons have the pin hole relocated to compensate. The > longer stroke makes for more torque. It also changes the arc angle of the > rods and increases the incidence of rod failures. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > John Rodgers > Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:12 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver > > I'm talking a bit of hear-say now, but I've heard/read that the 1.9L > heads on a 2.1L engine raises the compression ratio. So the combination > of the longer stroke of the 2.1L combined the higher compression of the > 1.9L heads should give better power. I don;t know if it would be > possible to use cylinder barrels that have been opened up a bit with > those heads, nor what the implecations might be for the pistons, but the > possibilities sound intriguing. > > So far as pistons go, I have seen pistons where the ring lands were worn > out of spec, but the crosshatching could still be seen in the cylinder > walls. If cylinders specs are not worn to out of round (dial indicator > check) or simply worn over bore, it would seem that one could > conceivabley clean them up, grind in some cross hatching with a high > quality hone, and re-used them successfully if good pistons and rings > are used. > > Just my $o.o2 this afternoon. > > John > >> John Rodgers >> Clayartist and Moldmaker >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> Http://www.moldhaus.comScott, I am surprised that 1.9 and 2.1 liners are > the same size or sort of. Busdepot sells 2.1 liners at $707 a set and about > $400 a set for 1.9 (German or Brazilian). When I take the engine apart I > will compare them and see if there is any obvious differences. I thought the > barrels may be the same and the pistons are different to account for the > larger displacement. If the pistons are the same then the 2.1's larger > displacement is achieved by the crank. I guess that's entirely possible. >> Ken, thanks for the info regarding the availability of a cheaper option > for a set of 2.1 liners. I have never heard that there are liners other than > Brazilian made (or German OEM?). I have no doubt yours is an excellent > alternative. Your price is excellent. I wonder why Busdepot wants $707. And > it's Brazilian made. >> Dennis, you are right that pistons are wear items and usually wear more > obviously than cylinders. I do hope that the original pistons being OEM are > OK for some more miles with new rings and new barrels. If I were to go for a > full rebuild I would not go this way to save. I just want to get a few more > years on the engine then retire the engine or retire the entire Vanagon. I > totally understand that I could find show stoppers at the time I take it > apart for resealing the heads. I have had to add coolant every month and the > bottom of the engine indicates coolant leak from the heads. I may realize > that a replacement engine or a complete rebuild is awaiting. >> Anyway, I will find out if it is possible to use the new barrels and new > rings from the new (old stock) of a 1.9 liner set. I may find, as Dennis > said, that they don't match well with my original 2.1 pistons. >> Thanks again. >> >> MJ in sunny California >> >> --- On Mon, 2/7/11, Scott Daniel - Turbovans<scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> > wrote: >> From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans<scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> >> Subject: Re: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 9:36 AM >> >> hi MJ, >> I'm not 1000 % certain this is correct, but my understanding is that the >> pistons and barrels on 1.9's and 2.'1 are the same. >> the 2.1 stoke is longer, >> and 2.1 Volkswagon brand heads are different than 1.9 heads ( combustion >> chamber volume ) >> ( though AMC heads fit either ) . >> >> Call a parts supplier and ask, or... >> a quick google seacrh gets this .. >> one company showing they're the same for both engines . >> > http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_page.render_pageID_657_lang_EN_country_GB.h > tm >> the external physical dimensions of both engines are the same, so either >> engine will bolt in where the other was, btw., >> >> on a Brazilian set of P& B's I got a while back, that I put on a 1.9. >> The top of the barrels fit much too tightly into the heads .. >> like sheered aluminum off the head ..they fit so tightly. >> I had to spend hours hand lapping the barrels to fit into the cylinders >> properly, and not jam there. >> It worked out nicely .. >> but they were not dimensionally exactly correct. >> >> typical I could almost say for parts we get these days, sometimes. >> scott >> turbovans >> >> >> >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "M. Jade"<tinho2010@YAHOO.COM> >> To:<vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:36 PM >> Subject: Originally: JLP rebuilt wbxr engines in Denver >> >> >> While we are on this subject can I ask a related question? Sorry, Scott, I >> hope you don't mind I ask this question on this topic. >> >> I bought a new Brazilian 1.9L cylinder/piston liner set several years ago. > I >> picked it up cheap when someone wanted to unload it on Craigslist. The >> problem is my 85 has a 2.1 engine on it. So here is my question. >> >> Can I use the new cylinders and the new rings out of this new 1.9L liner > set >> and install them on my 2.1 engine? This means I am reusing the 2.1 > pistons. >> My understanding of the difference between 1.9 and 2.1 liners is only in > the >> pistons. The cylinder bores and possibly the rings are identical. >> >> I believe it is about time to reseal my 2.1 cylinder heads. I may take > this >> opportunity to renew the cylinders and all the rings. Is this a good idea > or >> not? >> >> This is similar to what that company does (but with a new set of > cylinders) >> for the advertised engine. I assume that my pistons are still good. I > don't >> want a full rebuild at this time. Thanks for any suggestions. >> >> MJ in sunny California >> (81 degree F in Oakland today) >> >> >> >> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans< >> scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> >>> Hi .. >>> anyone ever deal with or hear anything about this company ? >>> >>> http://www.waterboxer.com/engines/vw-vanagon-21l-engine >>> >>> a 2.1 is $ 1,865 US with no core required.. >>> and all new bearings blah blah blah .. >>> but used pistons with new rings and honed original barrels ( ??...sounds >>> strange to me ) >>> >>> so anyone ...? >>> A customer is suggesting/wondering about this option. >>> >>> thanks >>> scott >>> >> >> -- >> Casey >> >> >> >> >> > ____________________________________________________________________________ > ________ >> Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. >> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. >> http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html >> >> >