Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:57:23 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternative Part & Design to Bosal Diesel Exhaust Hanger?
              (15* I4 Jetta engine)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

Hey hey .. all right, someone who patches their mufflers ! lol. ( thought I was the only one ) . And I don't normally these days.

re glass pack.. I didn't make it clear, perhaps , that works perfectly on a turbo diesel engine. ( a turbo absorbs a lot of the exhust racket, like most of it in cruise and at idle, so a glass pack muffler works just fine. Even with no muffler at all, a TD engine only bellows some, and not even 'that' loudly, under load, on a TD engine. )

Glass pack mufflers eventually loose their muffling ability on a gas non-turbo engine due the fiberglass deteriorating ......the fiberglass getting filled with carbon or exhuast crude or oil, so I don't use them on gas engines.

and ...there are two 'right' ways to mount the exhaust on a vanagon inline four engine in my opinion - The first is 'ala diesel vanagon' .. the exhaust system has no flex juncions in it, and is mounted on rubber mounts at the left and right across the rear, to the engine. The whole thing is attached to the engine only. ( a variation is a flex junction in the header pipe .. usually before it turns to go across the rear where the cat and muffler are. I even have a couple of DV aftermarket exhausts made that way new evidently ...but I never do it that way myself. )

Then 'the other way' is ... there's a flex secion in the header pipe...just before the exhaust turns to go across the back.. and then the whole cat/muffler/tail pipe is hung from the body with rubber hangers.

there's one tdi sycnro vanagon I've had to work on a few times .. I noticed the engine conversion guy's exhaust system right away. He comes off the turbo with a big curving pipe, there's a flex junction, then the pipe turns and enters a fairly huge muffler hung on rubber hangers in two sports across the back, then a huge dong of a tail pipe sticking down and quite unartistically to me.

for hangers to attach the rubber things to, he welded those jetta springey C shaped clamp things ...where the top of the header pipe, that's bell shapped, is spring-clamped to the exh manifold on a jetta.. Those C things were just welded to the body, and the bare metal where it was welded wasn't even painted.

So I'm looking at that ....and I see that it's very effective for the amount of effort involved. I thought it was crude and ugly ..........but I could see that it was going to stay together for a long time. And I'm thinking..wow, I might spent up to 8 hours making mine very carefully and elegantly 'in place' on the van ....tail pipe all tucked up in just perfectly in the right corner .....nice reproduction of the DV rubber mount system, etc. and it looks like that one took an hour or a bit more to make. Sure was dorky looking I thought ...but also very effective. - the second method....flex pipe and then car/muffler/tail pipe all hung in rubber from the body. ( cats can run very hot so you usually don't see any rubber hangers near them, btw )

I got a real laugh seeing the exhaust hanger, in the posted pics here, strapped to a rear tow loop . -:) thanks , I needed that.

do elegant fabrication work I say .. even if it's all done with just hand tools and low tech methods. And congrats on getting yet more life out of that muffler ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: neil n To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:08 PM Subject: Re: Re: Alternative Part & Design to Bosal Diesel Exhaust Hanger? (15* I4 Jetta engine)

Yah the # Mark provided got lots of hits via Google. Maybe some were for Canadian websites.

Didn't know the DV mount at the pan was double size. Assumed (from ETKA) that they were all the same.

The exhaust *was* mounted to the engine, but it recently "suffered" a roadside repair do to late rainy night camping clumsiness: <rolls eyes>

http://tinyurl.com/4r7bsay http://tinyurl.com/49np74g http://tinyurl.com/4qvoc7g

Part of the thrust of this post was to find an easily available, (at a FLAPS) solution. Gotta pull my muffler and patch it, but after that I'll skootch around online and see what's up here in the Great White North via W0133-1638662

Good to know that the glasspack muffler works Scott. ( I assume that's what you were referring to. In part)

Neil.