Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:41:48 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken Fuel Pump - Was: Fuel pump
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com>

I had the filter loose and was trying to get the hose linking pump-to-filter loose at the pump end and in wrestling with it managed to snap off the plastic nipple on that (the rearmost) end of the fuel pump.  The outlet end.  I posted about it years ago.  Just one of those intensely maddening things.  I had no idea the damn thing was plastic.  I've been a lot more careful ever since.  That's one reason I like getting parts from vans in junkyards; you get practice removing things before having to do it on your own van and may therefore have a better idea of how to approach that task when the time comes.   I was able to splint the outlet end together again using extremely thinwall tubing from a hobby shop to make an inner sleeve, then JB Welded everything together with some thin nylon as wrap and cast material also impregnated with the JBW.  That pump now lives in the spares bin in the van in case I or some hapless Vanagon owner needs one in a pinch.   Stephen