Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:53:28 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: WD-40....Fact or Fiction?
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

At 11:50 AM 2/21/2011, John Rodgers wrote: > Trying to keep the Dash in the ol' Vanagons clean and shiny is >something we all struggle with, and plastics in them die a slow death as >the sun cooks the oil out of them and they com apart. So what to do.

John, there's no way to bring back vinyl from the dead. Keep it cool, keep the UV off it. My private suggestion for shiny would be to try furniture wax. I think the only real solution to a deteriorated dash would be some sort of re-skinning process. This is an area where the universe cries out for answers, I think.

As to WD40...

The stuff's been recently reformulated. Not many years ago it was at least 60% Stoddard's solvent, aka white spirits, CAS 8052-41-3. Essentially a high grade of mineral spirits. It's also now being marketed as a lube, and sure enough, it now has some lube oil in it - not clear exactly how much. It's three quarters volatiles, including 50% by weight so-called VOCs, or regulated Volatile Organic Compounds.

Long-time experience is that it doesn't hang around for months, but that may have changed since the reformulation and remarketing, probably has at least to some extent.

Ingredients: Aliphatic petroleum distillates 45-50%: 64742-47-8 Hydrotreated [deodorized] kerosene 64742-88-7 Solvent Naptha [probably very similar to lighter fluid]

Petroleum oil 30-35%: 64742-58-1 Mineral spirits or similar 64742-53-6 Hydrotreated [deodorized] Light Naphthenic Petroleum Distillates 64742-56-9 Solvent Dewaxed Light Paraffinic Distillate [very light oil] 64742-65-0 Solvent-Dewaxed Heavy Paraffinic Distillate [heavier oil]

Non-hazardous ingredients <10% [We're not saying, but some of it is perfume I think]

Proprietary surfactant <2% [allows WD40 to mix with water and gives it its water-displacing properties - without this the petroleum stuff would just bounce off the wet surface]

CO2 2-3% [Propellant]

>Here are some WD-40 uses including vehicle uses applications: > > 1. Protects silver from tarnishing.

Could be, but there are lots better ways.

> 2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.

Yes, probably not as well as bug and tar remover.

> 3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.

I wouldn't use it on nylon. Metal seems reasonable. Lubricates??

> 4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery..

Wow! Expensive and scary.

> 5. Keeps flies off cows.

Not a farmer...

> 6. Restores and cleans chalkboards..

No opinion except there are probably better ways for slate and I'd be nervous about modern composition boards.

> 7. Removes lipstick stains.

Likely.

> 8. Loosens stubborn zippers.

Likely. But for keeping them loose you want paraffin wax

> 9. Untangles jewelry chains.

Likely.

>10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

Some of them, no doubt.

>11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.

Watch out lighting it!

>12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.

No idea what this means.

>13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.

And leaves oil stains? Assuming it works, which I see no reason to expect.

>14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots .

Ziiiip-Bang - skull fracture.

>15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.

??

>16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.

Um...oil? A lot neater.

>17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.

Oil.

>18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! > Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. > It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub >nearly as hard to get them off. > Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

Expensive substitute for mineral spirits, seems to me...but convenient and plausible, at least.

>19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed >quickly! Use WD-40!

Or bug and tar remover...

>20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.

For the first three kids.

>21..... Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling >on riding mowers.

No, please. God invented other things for these purposes, like spray lithium grease.

>22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.

Wow, what a way to make the un-repairable joint in a kid's rocking chair.

>23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to >open.

Parrafin wax for wood, silicone spray for metal

>24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.

Dunno, this might be a good use - or total BS i.e. no need whatsoever (see the PS at the bottom)

>25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well >as vinyl bumpers.

Leather??? Ever hear of saddle soap? As to vinyl, once the plasticizer goes, it's gone. There's no going back. Certainly not with petroleum solvents and oil.

?

>27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.

Straight lube oil or Marvel Mystery oil would be better.

>28. Lubricates wheel sprocket s on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for >easy handling..

Chain lube...

>29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running >smoothly.

Just what they need...not.

>30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.

Many other things are better.

>31. Removes splattered grease on stove.

Answer looking for a question?

>32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.

Could be.

>33. 34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

All right pigeons, stick 'em up. Flap on outta here or I'll blow your little beaks outta da sky.

>35. Removes all traces of duct tape.

Who was that fella that used Spot remover on his dog? ;-)

>36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve >arthritis pain.

Folks should read the MSDS and stop being stupid with industrial (read: contaminated with God-knows-what) chemicals

>37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from >grills and bumpers.

I wonder who asked Florida?

>38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the >Statue of Liberty from the elements.

I wouldn't believe this even if it were true.

>39. WD-40 attracts fish.. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you >will be catching the big one in no time.. > Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are >made for just that purpose. > Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for >fishing are not allowed in some states.

Makes a lovely rainbow on the water, though...bet the game warden loves that.

>40. Use it for fire ant bites.. It takes the sting away immediately and >stops the itch.

Michael? You live in fire ant country? I'll give three to one it doesn't work...and I'm not going to cheat and look up the composition of fire ant venom.

>41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark >and wipe with a clean rag.

Like mineral spirits etc - should work as well as anything.

>42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and >dried a tube of lipstick with a load > of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. >Presto! The lipstick is gone!

Presto! I bet it's not that easy!

>43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the >moisture and allow the car to start.

Hey, it works GREAT for that one!

>P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

P.S. You couldn't resist, could you, you sniveling urban legendeer. Hadda jazz it up. Unfortunately (not) you just gave the game away - *your* basic ingredient is BAT PUCKEY.

Yours, David