Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:00:16 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Pulstar Plugs, was Re: Anyone Tried the Pulstar Spark Plugs?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

At 12:15 PM 2/20/2011, Max Wellhouse wrote: >Spozed to be the latest greatest thing with built in capacitors to >hold 1,000,000 watts of power. In one of their "reviews, someone

Whee! Ok, their claim is that by putting a capacitor into the spark plug itself, they make available a [small] energy pool which is discharged at the moment the initial spark ionizes the gas in the gap, permitting an arc to form. The total energy isn't large, but by putting the cap right up at the spark gap they can get an extremely rapid discharge, hence a very high intensity, or wattage, for that very brief interval of a few nanoseconds. After that the "spark event" proceeds as it would have anyway.

Perfectly reasonable physics/electronics so far. How about the numbers? They're claiming average 1000 amps for ten nanoseconds. That would mean 1000 coulombs per second for 10E-9 seconds = 1E3 / 1E-8 = 1E(3-8) = 1E-5 coulombs stored in the capacitor; or 10,000 nanocoulombs. Assuming breakover voltage of 10,000 volts that would mean a capacitance of .001 microfarad which seems to me awfully high for a 25 kV capacitor in the space they show (note that I'm neglecting various real-life things that would make the numbers worse - I'd really be happier if someone would show where I'd slipped a decimal and the capacitance should be a tenth or better a hundredth what I said). The actual of course is easily measured if someone has one of their plugs and a cap meter.

Now, does it make any difference? Cutting through the fancy language they say it does, a little, and they point to some numbers they claim to have generated and also to three magazine reviews here:

http://www.pulstar.com/pdf/PAAS_August2008.pdf

http://www.pulstar.com/pdf/dsport_march2008.pdf

http://www.pulstar.com/pdf/modified_April2008.pdf

The middle one seems the best-informed and least ghost-written of the three, but they all show slight improvements in dyno testing. Note that none of the three are interested in economy, only in peak developed power/torque.

Here's a less formal unsponsored real-world review that thinks they're perfectly decent spark plugs but no other real benefit.

http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews_pulstar.html

Advance Auto Parts will sell you the platinum version for ten bucks here (they also have the iridium version for thirteen):

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Platinum-Pulse-Plug-Pulstar_10001158-P_960_R%7CGRPTUNEAMS_1270271073___

A serious note: It seems to me that even quite modest efficiency gains such as are suggested by the Enerpulse people would of necessity be accompanied by corresponding decreases in CAT temperatures. Am I wrong?

My impression? Not obvious snake oil like so many other things, but not likely to be of much practical benefit to us WBX owners. If they really are as good as claimed all the OEMs will be using them in a few years, if for nothing else to allow them to maintain their C.A.F.E. while continuing to serve the great god Acceleration.

Yrs, David