Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:32:51 -0800
From:         "M. Jade" <tinho2010@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sealant necessary for coolant hoses?

Thanks a lot for everyone's quick reply to the question. The coolant hose is original. It was never replaced despite the thermostat has been replaced twice and the hose was disconnected and reconnected many times. I noticed that the hose is not as flexible as when it was very new. But it is not hardened to a point to need replacement.

Just because it is not as flexible as before it may be the reason it needs more clamping force to keep the hose from leaking. It could be that the metal flange is rusty to cause the leak too. This is why I thought of using some sealant to cover up the metal surface of the flange. This should help reducing the clamping force needed for the hose clamp. This also helps preventing the hose from damage too.

The sealant in mind is not for gluing the hose to the flange. Using a glue is a bad idea. I will look for Permtax sealant from local parts stores. I will replace the hose clamp too. It gives me  a more accurate feeling how tight it is. Never want it to be too tight.

MJ in sunny California