Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:48:49 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stabilization parts Costs
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

At 08:04 AM 2/24/2011, Greg Potts wrote: >For $600 you could probably convert a vanagon to megasquirt, and never >have to worry about Vanagon Syndrome, ever. > >http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_water_cooled_vw.htm

That would be $600 and a fair amount of work/tinkering, nu? Incidentally, the link above specifically says Megasquirt (company) doesn't know what to do with WBX engines with ignition handled internal to the ECU. That would be the 2.1l engines with the idle stab valve and the controller behind the taillight.

Also, for the picky - they're not street legal. As Megasquirt says:

>Note-- All parts are sold for OFF ROAD RACE-ONLY ground-vehicle use >only. Aftermarket EFI/EMS systems are not for sale or use on >pollution controlled vehicles. Alteration of emission related >components constitutes tampering under the US EPA guidelines and can >lead to substantial fines and penalties. Your state/district may >also have specific rules restricting your tampering with your >vehicle's emissions system. In short, as stated before, our official >policy has to be RACE or OFFROAD USE-ONLY in ground based vehicles ONLY. > > >Bowling and Grippo have compiled some excellent info on legality of >aftermarket components on cars here that you should check out as >well. Click here to open a new window with this info.

Yours, Ol' Mister Rain on the Parade...