Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:09:53 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stabilization parts Costs
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

John -

Where in the world are you finding a high price for an idle stabilizer valve (ISV)? Sure, the dealer gets over $500, but you can get the same darn valve for $250 from Bus Depot:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=025906457A

The Control Box has always been an expensive piece new at about $400:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251907393D

I've picked up control boxes from the local boneyard out of any 86-91 for pittance, never more than $50. Out of the last 5 I bought for resale I only found 1 bad one. I test each and every one on my buddy's 87 for a week at a time as he goes to and from work (he keeps his original handy in case its bad).

I have them from time to time, but I haven't any in my stash at the moment.

As replacement parts become more scarce each year, maintenance costs on our 20 to 40+ year old Vanagons is going to continue to climb, it's a fact of life these days. If an item is obsoleted because of the lack of demand or manufacturer's decisions to move along, you can expect the prices to double or triple in years to come, depending on the item. I'm already encountering this with my 75 914 (Headlight Switch is over $300[!] new, half that for good used IF I can find either).

Heck, Bosch in Mexico has discontinued production on the SVDA distributor despite the fact that it's one of the hottest movers in the industry. They're not interested in older vehicles, they make their money on the newest offerings (note - the Chinese made version is PURE garbage too)..

Oh, and Megasquirt is a great system and may be OK in Canada Greg, but its a no-no here in smog-regulated California. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:36 AM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: >  Volks, > > I have been studying what will be necessary to bring the AC back on line > in my '88 GL with the proper controls for the engine. I find I > apparently will need an idle stabilizer valve and the idle stabilizer > control box that goes in front of the right hand tail light.  The prices > on these two little pieces are horrific!!!! $800-$1000 depending where > one shops. > > Question: Is anyone currently experimenting with, developing, playing > with, an alternative to the VW idle stabilizer control? Someone started > out that direction but haven't heard anything about it is some time. > > When I saw a $600 Plus price tag on that control unit, I had to catch my > breath. That is a breathtaking price. > > Thanks, > > John > > -- > John Rodgers > Clayartist and Moldmaker > 88'GL VW Bus Driver > Chelsea, AL > Http://www.moldhaus.com