Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:41:14 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sorta Scary Event
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John: thge ignition switch is the cheap $10 repair. If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the plastic connector on the side of the distributor that connects the electrical leads to the Hall Sender. They get old and crack and eventually cause intermittent shut down. A new Hall sender is not cheap, but my shade tree epoxy job on my failing connector several years ago lasted about 2 weeks. If the tach goes straight to 0 when this occurs next time, it's definitely pointing to electrics for sure.....YMMV

DM&FS

At 11:28 PM 2/25/2011, John Rodgers wrote: > Driving along the highway tonight, the engine just suddenly quit as >cold as if I had turned off the ignition. All the annunciator lights >came on as I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. I turned the >ignition off, then back on, then to start, and it fired right up, and >didn't fault again. For the engine to do that - even once - says I have >a problem. But where to even start looking I don't have a clue. It >didn't even sputter. It was like someone threw the "Off" switch - but >the ignition switch was on of course. What might cause a blatant engine >stoppage that way? It didn't even sputter. > >If it happened once - it WILL happen again. > >Thanks, > >John > >-- >John Rodgers >Clayartist and Moldmaker >88'GL VW Bus Driver >Chelsea, AL >Http://www.moldhaus.com