Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:25:13 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spares list (was Spare ECU)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Difficult for me to fathom that no one has mentioned fuses. I carry a complete array of sizes appropriate for the vehicle. mcneely

---- Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > OK, I stand 're-advised' that my spare ECU should go into my traveling > spares. In fact, I found it under the bench seat anyhow, just now, and I > *am* traveling on an extended trip. My whole under bed cabinet is pretty > much full of spare parts only..I do carry a great many hoses unique to my > engine (Yes, an inline VW gas motor) a spare CV joint, a gallon of coolant > and a gallon of H20 for the cooling system, an oil and filter change, a > water pump, voltage regulator, my old but good spark plugs and all the stuff > mentioned below except the starter and all the bulbs. I also carry my worn > clutch...dunno why...no way to change that without a floor jack and a floor, > for that matter. > > Don Hanson > > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Mark L. Hineline < > hineline@ocotillofield.net> wrote: > > > An oldie but a goodie, perhaps. What to have on a long trip with you. In > > descending order of priority: > > > > (My list is for AFM) > > > > Full suite of bulbs and fuses (new) > > Female spade connectors (new) > > Belt (new) > > Accelerator cable (used is fine) > > Temp sensor 2 (changed out before failure; the new one is installed) > > Coil (used but known to be good) > > Distributor cap (new) > > Dual relay (changed out before failure; the new one is installed) > > Fuel pump (used but known to be good) > > Starter (used but known to be good) > > Alternator (used but known to be good) > > Voltage regulator (used but known to be good) > > > > The usual collection of electrical wire, bailing wire, aluminum tape, duct > > tape. > > > > A wheel cylinder might be a good idea. It's cheap and small. > > > > For serious traveling, a complete axle, cv joints, and boots ready to go > > in. > > > > With this, only a catastrophic engine or transmission failure should keep > > you from getting home. > > > > Mark > > > > > > On Feb 27, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > > > > It's my understanding the ECUs seldom fail..so seldom that while I have > >> one, > >> (for diagnostic reasons) but I usually leave it home when I travel, to > >> make > >> room for other spare items that are known to be more likely to fail... > >> > >> Don Hanson > >> > >

-- David McNeely