Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:32:12 -0500
From:         Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>
Subject:      Re: Silly question about hub caps
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

Rob - the mounting surface of my caps wouldn't even get to the same zip code as the wheel surface when the center bottomed out and the diameter was really mismatched.

I'll keep the deadblow trick in mind when I find the correct caps.

Thanks

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Rob [mailto:becida@comcast.net] Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 12:21 PM To: Joe Luther; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Silly question about hub caps

Those metal VW caps wouldn't stay on my front drivers either, the dust cap/speedo cable got in the way. I put a dab of grease on the speedo end, put the cap on and found it touched in the center.

I had to push the center of the cap out.

I took some large steel washers (inch or so diameter) and a steel piece to get them within reach, supported the hubcap on a metal coffee can and smacked it one good one with a 5lb deadblow hammer (this is pushing the inside out just a little). It was a nice even push out of the center piece, another smack with just the deadblow did the trick. From the outside it doesn't look like it's been adjusted. I tested it with a touch of grease on the speedo cable end and I had zero transfer to the hubcap, it's worked great since last July.

Rob becida@comcast.net