Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:29:39 -0500
From:         Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>
Subject:      Re: air cooled piston weight/cylinder question
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott -

Thanks for the opinion and information.

Type IV air cooled CV code engine.

Pistons are out of the cylinders with wrist pins installed, but kept with the mating cylinders.

You keep referring to the John Muir book and I only have one for the Rabbit. My air cooled version was lost years ago. I do now have a Bentley, though.

I plan on getting new rings and reusing the pistons and cylinders. If all pistons were the same, I'd not be worried and never mentioned it but the + marking and one being visually different concerns me. I can check piston to cylinder bore clearance and piston/wrist pin weight and the ring to groove clearance. Big ends of the rods are still on the crankshaft, everything else is apart.

I'm planning on going very slowly and being extremely careful. I've been cleaning and inspecting everything as I go along, today at lunch I tanked and cleaned the fan housing halves. Next will be the tin. I would like to paint everything before it gets reinstalled and the weather will affect that. Actually, I have no choice but to go slowly having two kids and work.

What I would like at the end of the day is to have this engine get me around a few summers while I gather parts to redo the other engine completely. I probably jumped on this van before I was totally ready but it seemed to have a lot of potential and a lot of spares, spares seem to be really important in Vanagon land.

I'm still waiting to get it home. More ice yesterday and the driveway is back to luge status.

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:57 PM To: Joe Luther; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: air cooled piston weight/cylinder question

re With 60k and 84k on the engines, I hate to > think I would have to, is that really a mileage point where this > engine would be worn out internally to the point where they would need replacing?

Type IV air-cooled right ? the pistons and cylinders are not the weak parts. The heads will likely fail long before much wears with the pistons and cylinders and rings. new rings are always a good idea ...mandatory in my opinion, if the pistons have been taken out of the barrels, unless they are new. If used...new rings.

you could check piston to barrel clearance. That's how loose or tightly the bare piston fits in the barrel. I would expect yours to be within spec. The pistons and barrels are not the weak part at all.

the bottom ends are pretty good. the heads are the weak area I believe.

if there isn't money for new pistons and cylinders.. the logical thing to do, seems to me is ....do a very careful good job of assembling what you have. With new rings. it's a whole other step ...but one can remove the rods, inspect the rod bearings, check oil clearance with plasticguage ( with new rod brgs preferred...or the same used ones .. but new rod brgs are not expensive ) if you know it has good rod bearings with oil clearance in spec ....and new rod nuts or bolts, whatever is recommended there ... and decent piston clearance and new rings .. and fresh valve work ....you'll be fine.

and if they idea is to make it 'the perfect near racing grade engine that I won't have to touch for 8 years" .. that's not practical since the need to keep expenses down has been expressed...

so just do a careful good job. If I was very worried about that one piston ..I'd compare weight with the other three.. ( have you read John Muir on piston balancing in the Idiot's Guide ? ..you should ) .

Make sure the odd piston is with its barrel if possible, of course.

now don't tell anyone this ... ( I hesitate to tell people my various unofficial tricks I've used over the decades as people who don't know better might thing ..since everything is not ALL NEW and perfectly machine shop balanced etc etc ) that long ago . and several times I have used a not perfectly matching piston ..... carefully fitted to it's barrel, and with new rings and very careful workmanship .. and it worked just super fine for years and years.

I even , when I really fuss over some little thing ....I even imagine years in the future and saying 'oh yeah.....I forgot all about that, that little aspect I was worried about."

so if you're trying to keep costs down ..just do good careful work with what it there ... it's like this .. if it doesn't work out this engine .. it is far far more likely that some careless ( no reflection on you ...just reporting on what I see,..in litterally hundreds of not a thousand engines ) ...far more likely that some workmanship carelessness will lead to a problem than one piston is .0001 grams lighter or heavier than the others.

clearances are important .. those you need to check carefully, in all aspects ...rings in piston ring grooves, piston in barrel, rod bearing oil clearance if you do that far into the engine ....etc/

Believe me ..it's in the Workmanship...that's where you get your results. The parts matter.. and have to be decent and useable ...but the parts themselves don't matter that much compared to really great workmanship,..within reason of course.

so get started on it already ! lol. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Luther" <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:16 AM Subject: Re: air cooled piston weight/cylinder question