Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:41:58 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Blue slider vents in doors? 84 GL...wazzit these supposed to
              do?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

At 01:06 PM 2/28/2011, Don Hanson wrote: >The Vanagon heating and ventilation system, it's controls, it's basic >design, the way the heated coolant is routed and the valves that direct it >all around....it all seems a bit weird to me...It does work, somehow, when >all is well with the valves and cables and hoses, but you almost seem to >need an Ouiji Board to un-ravel how they were thinking when they built this >system.

I don't understand. Seems to me it works about the way pretty much all non-luxury cars did until the Japanese introduced the single-lever integrated control for airflow. Most people (most Americans, anyway) would find the levers more intuitive if pushing them to the right made everything increase instead of the upper two increasing and the lower two decreasing; but what the levers themselves do couldn't possibly be simpler.

One opens the flap to the defrost vents.

One opens the flap to the footwell vents.

One opens the flap to the little overhead rear vents.

And one turns on the hot water.

They operate entirely independently; if you want lots of air to come out of one set of holes, leave the other ones shut.

The heater(s) get first crack at the warming coolant coming from the engine as it comes up to temperature, so they don't have to wait for the thermostat before they begin generating heat.

Somebody in Deutschland decided you needed to be able to get maximum windshield defrost while blind drunk and wearing mittens - that's the only reason the lever directions seem odd. Personally I think that was a dumb choice, but the panel itself is clearly marked with the direction of increase for each air lever, by means of a long thin triangle (just like the Japanese of the time). The later ones have MAX printed at the big end of the triangle for people who can't take a hint.

The defrost lever has a picture of a defrosting windshield at the max end.

The temp lever has a blue dot at the left and a red dot at the right, and a symbol of heat rising at the hot end.

The footwell air lever has an arrow pointing down (all right, it's a triangle) at the max end, pretty stylized notion of an arrow.

And the rear air lever is marked all in blue to symbolize that only cold air will come out, with another very stylized symbol of a vent at the max end, or maybe four vents. I think one person did the symbols for the top two and an abstract painter the symbols for the bottom two.

Still! I maintain that anyone who without even reading the book looks at that panel and thinks about it for a few minutes, then turns on the fan and moves the levers a couple times should be able to operate it correctly - with the possible exception of the rear air lever. But even with that one, listening to the fan will tell you that it's turning air on and off to *some place,* and the blue color tells you it's cold air.*

*That doesn't mean that the Japanese symbology and single-lever system aren't wonderful engineering and ergonomics, they are; nor that VW couldn't have set things up better. But the best I can remember, every car I ever drove and the vast majority of the ones I rode in starting with our '52 Ford Tudor up until I had the misfortune to drive a '76 Subaru** had heater controls just like the Vanagon except that all the levers pointed the same way.

**The air handling was great, but even though the temperature control had four inches of travel it was essentially binary. Much worse, the driver's shoulder belt reel was mounted at exactly the height of my funny bone. It was my parent's car and I probably only drove it fifty times, but my elbow still hurts when I think of it.

I think people have gotten so used to the single-lever systems that they freak when they see more than one lever, and stop thinking. But that's only my hypothesis attempting to explain what to me is mysterious: why does this utterly simple system baffle people? For sure it does.

He said plaintively...

And speaking of mysteries...my '84 manual thought the rear running light was a combination stop/tail light. So does my '89 manual, and I'll bet the '91 manual does too. How could that happen?

Yrs, David