Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:59:07 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Substitute for aircooled thermostat
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

You're right, many southern-based ACVW's have the flaps removed (not only just 'disabled'). I've corrected many of these problems when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. It causes the same problems that removing a thermostat on a water-cooled engine causes. Slow warm-up, possibly never coming up to proper operating temps. This causes little or no heat available for interior heating, rough running, increased emissions, poor gas mileage, and increased engine wear, reducing service life. This can even result in overheating once up to temp. The flaps act as air guides, directing, dividing and proportioning cooling air to specific areas of the cylinder heads. Without flaps in place, air takes the path of least resistance, and bypasses some critical head fins entirely. Overall, it's a big mistake to run without proper cooling.

Mike B.

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Hargrave Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:39 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Substitute for aircooled thermostat

I know, the flap acts as a air restrictor until the engine comes up to temperature then it opens. It's more of a engine warm-up aide than a temperature control thermostat.

The assembly was disabled in both of the type 1's I had and it's disabled in my Son's type 1. It's a common practice here in the South.

But a true thermostat modulated flapper would be nice up north in the winter. A friend of mine and I played with a few back home in NY and when it got really sub-zero cold the engine never did warm up right.

Tom

www.towercooler.com

I think the thermostat doesn't move the flaps after engine warm-up. It just helps the warm-up happen faster.

How about an old-fashioned "choke cable" from under the driver seat to move the flaps? Do they even make choke cables anymore? I put one on my '61 bus when the Solex choke didn't work right....

I think I have the bug thermostat on my '81. Is that NLA, too?

Richard

_____