Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:02:27 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: air cooled piston weight/cylinder question
Comments: To: Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>

Pistons and rods should be generally to within 5 grams. Rods also should be balanced end to end. One of the things to also check on the pistons is the ring lands, (side of grooves). These do wear especially the top lands.

If using cylinders from different sets a measurement that has to really carefully checked is the deck height. As the cylinders are placed on the case you need to make sure the tops are both at the same height and level. Any deviation will result in the seal between the cylinders and head failing.

As for how long these engines should last there are a number of folks that have gotten really good service out of them. Having been around VW's and always having a Bus I paid a lot of attention to the Vanagons when they first came out in '80. As they hit the used marketplace quickly they had one thing in common, engine failures. Many did not make it past warranty. Waited for water cooled my first Vanagon being an '84.

With all the air cooled busses trip preparedness often included a valve job to be sure an exhaust doesn't break. Now maybe I do an oil change and check all the belts and hoses.

Having dome a number of air cooled engine repairs, the common failures are dropped valve seats, burned top gaskets, melted-burned pistons, worn cams-collapsed lifters and the case pounding out at the base of the cylinders.

The last one is the usual cause for the head gasket failures.

It is common for these engines to show need for overhaul considerations somewhere between 60 to 120K. A lot depends on type of use. They don't like extended high speed use in warm temperatures. Hill climbs and lugging bring death quickly.

One thing that also needs to be working is the EGR valve system. EGR lowers peak flame temperatures which both reduces NOx emissions and piston-head temperature.

Dennis