Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:11:31 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Serious Friday question -- stalling a few minutes after cold
              start
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>

As I like to say .. don't think 'part' .. think adjustments and cleaning things .

The Aux Air Regulator doesn't seem to have a lot of affect on 1.9 wbxr engines .. it 'should' make a faster cold idle... you might think about yours and check it's operation ..

but what I find ALMOST ALL THE TIME .. are idle switches not making contact. your 85 could have either of two styles.. the early with the two switches on top in plane view. or the later style with the switch on the bottom.

I am in the process right now of elongating the 'eccentric hole' in the switch plate on an 85 vanagon throttle body ... I can't say enough how important it is that the idle switch make contact at idle .. I guessimate that upwards of half, at least, of all running vanagons have idle swiches not making contact. ( there is an electro-pnuematic version avaiable btw to replace the mechanical switch on the throttle body. )

and timing .. I find 'most' vanagons with timing too advanced. Too adanced timing is not better !!

heck..I'll even say this... always thinking 'what part might be the problem' .. is for people who don't understand how waterboxer EFI and Electronic Igntiion system work .. or how to test them throughly .. So that leaves them with only 'part' to consider..

upwards of 75 % of the time .. it is not 'a part' ..it is an adjusment, or something clogged or dirty or corroded.

when everything is in spec, and adjusted properly .. they work just like they did new. They start perfectly, they idle well, the go well, and they deliver decent fuel economy.

I would not expect a 1.9 to have very good 'fast cold idle' though , but I do get them to not stall cold, and idle right whether cold or warm. ( I could even retrofit a 2.1 electroically controlled idle air valve and control unit to a 1.9 .... ..but those are expensive parts ...so not so hot there.. and in reverse of that ..I might even try a 1.9 Auxiliary Air Regulator on a 2.1 wbxer )

and for *all cars* ..particularily gasoline ones.. I very very strongly recommend, don't start it up cold and let it sit idling. Very wastefuil of fuel, and shortens engine life. and always always check for air leaks .. everywhere ..in all the parts that flow air in any way. 'it's all about the air' ....much of the engine managment is based on air flow .. and a complete lack of any air leaks anywhere. So always check for those very thoroughly.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lauterbach" <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:58 AM Subject: Serious Friday question -- stalling a few minutes after cold start