Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:05:17 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cold weather
Comments: To: Annie <lsandrsn@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Annie,

If the battery is only a year old it may not be the problem. I would recommend checking the voltage at the battery with the engine running and again with the engine off. When the engine is running, the alternator should bring the voltage up to about 14V. With the engine off the battery should read around 12V.

Cold weather definitely leads to harder starts, which taxes the battery. But if the alternator isn't fully charging the battery then it's not the battery's fault.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario Canada 197x Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop (ND Graphics graphics wrap) 1988 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop (Colleen's ride) www.pottsfamily.ca

BUSES OF THE CORN - AUGUST 12-14th, 2011 www.busesofthecorn.ca

On 2/28/2011 3:48 PM, Annie wrote: > It's a new battery. Well, a year ago. It was put in January 2010. The > connections are solid as far as I can tell, with no corrosion or anything. > > As far as I know, it's not a deep cycle battery. Maybe time for one? I don't > know. It's just really frustrating. And it ONLY does this in cold weather. >