Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:55:00 -0500
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bostig, CARB EO,
              the reasons why not WAS: [WetWesties] Washington state...changes
              in vehicle licensing rules..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Well that's just it. I should have backed up with a better conclusion.

I believe that the CARB and current policy is the best bang for the buck when it comes to mobile source emissions.

Much of this is simply the reality that they are actually dealing with the unknown, and are learning as they go, leaning to fairly substantial misunderstandings/estimations from inception of the clean air act all the way through to the late 90's after they had some enhanced I/M testing areas functioning. Bottom line seems to be that they've figured out that they can test all they want at tailpipes, but bang for the buck, focusing on fleet turnover is better for total emissions than trying to fight tooth and nail at the individual level. The high emitters are the real culprits, with something like 10% of the fleet causing 50%+ of the emissions. The new trend is to spend to identify, plan, and to remove them, at the expense of more rigorous testing of the fleet at large.

Here in Massachusetts, which was trying to follow CA as part of the 5 that always do when it comes to emissions, they were using I/M 240 rolling road (dyno) testing like many enhanced I/M programs. They stumbled across the reality that the rolling road dyno testing system + enforced repairs for high emitters was corruptible and ineffective. Most of it had to do with problems with shops. For starters it caused a backlash from test stations in forcing a purchase of a 30k dyno... then on top of that, once they had the enhanced I/M testing capability in place they realized that the actual estimation models (MOBILE/Federal and EMFAC/CARB) themselves were flawed.

So from all sides they found failure. They overestimated badly the emissions reductions that could be had which of course means right out of the gate it was a problem. Add on top of that, that on the flip side... even once a high emitter was identified, and repairs were made, the range of the life of the repairs was poor or unknown, and that even worse the frequency of poor, fraudulent, pretest and incomplete repairs was much higher than they estimated as well. They realized that ultimately they could not accomplish the enforcement goals they were after and had to refactor the system.

So what we have now is, no emissions testing for newer vehicles at all, just plugin OBDII mode 6 and DTC checks. They DUMPED tailpipe testing completely for 96+. Sounds insane, but here in MA the proportion of high emitters is lower than in CA because the cars rot off the road anyhow and along with lower grade emissions testing, safety/rust can pull them out of the fleet... and avoid the repair/testing failures completely by looking at something much easier/less resource intensive but likely even more effective (it should start to sound like the shakken in Japan that is the source of all the "JDM" parts you see on the market here... because it is).

The other thing that's happening is on-road testing/drive by testing. Colorado folks are seeing this starting to proliferate. This should help with removing some of the error of the station based testing/repair debacle, but again, nobody knows for sure it's just a best guess that will be studied.

CA has an extreme case of the problem, and is the worst case scenario, the oldest fleet/high emitters + failed existing system + bad estimates + neighboring state sources + no money. So they are taking rather drastic measures to force fleet overturn with the best bang for the buck. I *think* they are doing the right thing, even though it screws many of us here.

Jim Akiba