Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:58:59 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5 tire rotation  was: How to get spare tire out
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

According to my brother-in-law, who is a Discount Tire manager, radial tires, even the early ones, were not unidirectional; the whole thing was an old wives' tale of sorts. No one really knows where the rumor started, but it stuck; he says he still has customers who insist that tires simply be rotated front to back.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |David Beierl |Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:16 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: 5 tire rotation was: How to get spare tire out | |At 11:59 AM 3/6/2011, Dave Mcneely wrote: |>I am curious as to why folks would not include the spare in the |>rotation. That is obvious for cars with compact spare tires, but |>with a regular, full size spare like we have with the Vanagon's |>.......... why? I can see why some might not for cars that they |>just drive in town, where a spare might be expected only to serve to |>get from home to a tire shop. Buying only four tires at a time is |>cheaper than buying five at a time. But if one drives a vehicle on |>long distance trips, and especially if one ventures out to remote |>locations, having a capable spare is a necessity. | |I think people got out of the habit when radials came in, because the |early radials would take a set and have to stay on the same side of |the vehicle to get good cord life. Then it was reinforced by the |advent of the single-use spare. Just my guess. | |Yours, |David