Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:08:53 -0500
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Start Issue with Hard Start Relay
Comments: To: mundopacheco@gmail.com, sandwichhead@gmail.com

Hi Michael,

I personally run hard start relays on both of my vans in order to remove the cranking current from the ignition switch. I first installed one when I had an intermittent slow crank situation a couple summers ago on my '87 Wolfsburg, but decided to keep the relay in place after proactively replacing the starter (I hate breaking down and stress out about it big time when setting off on long distance, time sensitive trips like music festivals). There is no downside to running the Hard Start Relay other than the fact that it becomes one additional item to troubleshoot if any sort of starting issue should arise in the future. On the bright side, it only takes about five seconds to return the starter connections to stock for troubleshooting purposes if it should ever become necessary (at least on a 2WD van, it's not such an easy access area for the Syncro guys)..

In your case, I would recommend running the hard start relay primarily to save the wear and tear on the ignition switch. It will also ensure maximum current to the starter solenoid which can often be quite limited by the resistance found in the old wiring runs on our vans. Since you are already running headlight relays, this combination of relays will remove two of the major loads that cause the ignition switches to suffer premature failures.

Some high quality shrink wrap or at least some liquid electrical tape on the wire would be a great idea.

Jay

----- Reply message ----- From: "Michael Sullivan" sandwichhead@gmail.com

I may have cranked it a little too long while diagnosing the bad battery. That's all I can think of. I am gonna take a pic of a new starter if I cannot get the clearance inder the van of the one I have in there. It is only 3 mos old. I can add some liquid rubber to that wire, but the first think that caught my eye when installing the realy was that almost bare wire. Thx, Dudes. Jay, feel free to chime in on the need for that relay. Tahnks to all. Michael in San Antonio 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo'