Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Mar 2011 14:34:08 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5Re: 5 tire rotation was: How to get spare tire out
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

I have three vehicles. One is the camper. That I keep 5 excellent tires on, and maintain a 5 tire rotation. That way, I can venture across country without worry, and even into some fairly remote locations. One is a Toyota Prius. That one I keep 4 excellent tires on, and the crappy compact spare that came with it. So, that one gets a 4 tire rotation. That one I can also go across country with, but not much to back road locations. I need to be able to drive the compact spare to a service location, and the road can't be real rough. The third is an old Honda Accord, 200K miles. I just drive it around town, not even on freeways. That one I have tires that still have good tread, and a spare that will get me to a service location, but that will generally be within a mile. I only drive it around 3K miles a year, and at this point with the tires on it, rotation seems moot. But for the camper, for sure, 5 tire rotation and keep that spare in service.

mcneely

---- David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > I always seem to replace my tires in pairs. Whenever I've bought a vehicle it always has 2 good tires and 2 not so good, so I always seem to replace the 2 bad ones first whereas the others last a few more years. I cant see throwing 2 good tires away just to replace all 4. Thus I never do a 5-tire rotation. The most I ever do is front to back on the same side as I've been told never to change the direction of rotation. Oh and the spare is always crap so I usually replace it with the best take-off. I do agree though that when tires wear out its nigh impossible to find the same brand and model again. > > --- On Sun, 3/6/11, John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote: > > From: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> > Subject: Re: 5 tire rotation was: How to get spare tire out > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 7:14 PM > >   My experience with tires demands that I buy five of the same size and > type, every time I buy tires. Why? Well for the last 5 times that I have > bought tires - the tire type on the van was no longer in production. > When a tire would go bad for whatever reason, and have to be replaced - > I could not get a matching tire anywhere. So, in self defense, I started > buying my tires in sets of 5 and rotate religiously, bringing the spare > on board one the left rear, and bringing the right front to the spare > location. > > Just me. > > John > > John Rodgers > Clayartist and Moldmaker > 88'GL VW Bus Driver > Chelsea, AL > Http://www.moldhaus.com > > > On 3/6/2011 12:48 PM, A PETER MARSH wrote: > > This the reason I am trying to buy FIVE tires for my renovation. > > > > Peter Marsh > > Naples > > > > On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > >> I am curious as to why folks would not include the spare in the rotation.  That is obvious for cars with compact spare tires, but with a regular, full size spare like we have with the Vanagon's .......... why?  I can see why some might not for cars that they just drive in town, where a spare might be expected only to serve to get from home to a tire shop.  Buying only four tires at a time is cheaper than buying five at a time.  But if one drives a vehicle on long distance trips, and especially if one ventures out to remote locations, having a capable spare is a necessity. > >> > >> Help me out here.  mcneely > >> ---- Edward Maglott<emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>  wrote: > >>> I haven't done it 5 tire style since about 1983.  Anybody else > >>> including the spare in their rotation? > >>> Edward > > >

-- David McNeely