Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Mar 2011 17:06:07 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: And now - still trying for NEW TIRES
Comments: To: A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM>

Peter, look on the door jamb of your van, where the original equipment tire specifications are found. For most vanagons, this will be 185R14, with 205-70 R 14 allowed. the tires you list below conform to that. the 70 aspect ratio is for the larger, 205 tire. A 215 tire is oversize. The C or D load either meets the specs (weight of the van is found on the same plaque as the tire sizes), and is essential unless you are using the 205 size. In that case, the tire should be an Extra Load tire, and the load index should be higher than if you used the C or D truck tire. At least that is my understanding. But the C or D load tires meet the technical requirement. D is better, in my book, but what do I know? Each tire should support 1/4 of the weight of the van, as specified on the door plaques.

BTW, for everyone, regarding the rotation business: Someone questioned whether folks knew what they were talking about when they said at one time (tire dealers and car makers as well as consumers) that one side rotation to keep the tires turning the same direction was needed for radial tires -- quoting the owner's manual for my 1991 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile (page 115): Tire Rotation (some commentary about why to rotate tires, then) "Tires should always remain on same side of vehicle." The book offers no explanation or reason for this statement. Back when we believed this (and 1991 is after most of us stopped believing it) the usual reason given was that radial tires would set to the direction of rotation (whatever that means) and would then become "warped" if moved to the other side and thus to rotate in the opposite direction. Evidently VW still believed it in 1991, so it must not have been completely an old wive's tale as some suggested.

mcneely

---- A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM> wrote: > WOW - this is NOT easy. Just managed to release the very old spare which is a Continental 215 70 14. So many different sizes and not much availability anywhere. > > Will these work (as they are 80's and not 70's)? > > 185 80 14 C load for $83 apiece > 185 80 14 D load for $(& apiece > > Yokohama tires FREE shipping. > > TIA > > Peter Marsh

-- David McNeely