Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:04:45 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Washington state...changes in vehicle licensing rules..
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not interesting maybe to the general readership of Vanagon list, but the > Wet Westies...this is us....and maybe an indicator for other states... > > I just got my renewal notice for the vanagon registration and right > there....paraphrase... > > "be advised if you buy a new car it MUST now comply with California Clean > Air standards to be registered in Washington state." > > I certainly hope they don't intend to create the same type > inspection/compliance/arbitrary and inconsistent rule requirment nightmare, > nationwide, that California has with their CARB.... > > Not that I, as a tradesman, will ever again be able to afford a new > vehicle on my 'worker-wages' but..... >

The way I read this is that if you buy a car and want to register it in Washington State, they are going to ask you to provide proof that it complies to the emission standards of California's State law. So they are going to want to see a 'sticker' of some kind showing em that. Maybe new vehicle manufacturers will see this coming everywhere and provide "Kalifornia Approved" stickers on their new cars. I'd guess most of them have paid off Kalifornia to get a 'certificate of compliance' anyway...Kalifornia is a big market, they can't afford to just blow them off and not do like Kalifornia wants.

I have no problem with tight smog controls for vehicles....but the California Air Resources Board.....they are awful...they simply make arbitrary rules that have nothing much to do with how much crap a vehicle puts out...but which has everything to do with furthering the powers of the California Air Resources Board....sometimes at the cost of higher pollution coming from vehicles they are supposed to regulate...for example the 'non-approval' of Subaru motors into Vanagons unless it uses the Kenady kit and is a 2.2 motor....the prohibition of Bostig...or any other transplant that hasn't 'paid-up' to be approved. If they were really concerned with what came out of our tailpipes....they would just take real time readings and go from there.....

Ok, enough Don Hanson