Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:15:04 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Washington state...changes in vehicle licensing
              rules..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Keep in mind that Calif CARB Standards make a difference with regard to 49 State and California sold vehicles on the older cars, generally 76-85 when it comes to Bugs, Buses and Vanagons. From 86 onwards all Vanagons sold in the USA meet California Emissions specs for the test. It's been that way in other states (ex. Arizona, New York, etc.,) that adopt CARB Standards AFTER the fact for many years now.

My buddy Cliff here in Calif has a 77 Federal Model Beetle - never came with a cat, but does have an EGR system (which is different from the Calif model). When he gets tested every two years, he is tested according to the 49 State Standard, not the stricter Calif Standard.

This is what truly is CARB Standards. This doesn't mean Washington (or any other state adopting CARB Standards) is tested under the stricter emission limits set for California, only for Federal/EPA emission standards of the older vehicle's year. Ideally Washington will test your vehicle to the Federal Emission Standard of your older vehicle's date, provided of course they do it right.

Now for any new vehicle sold in your state (Washington being the example here,) after the effective date of the law will require the auto manufacturer to meet whatever CARB Standard is for California Emissions. Again, that "copycat" of the California style law has been legal in various states across the country for several years now.

One other note - Some states require just a "sniff test" on our older rides, but if they *choose* to follow the letter of the CARB Standards as set by California for Federal Models, they will do a visual inspection to make sure whatever Emission Controls were originally installed on your old vehicle are indeed still installed and functioning. This is rigidly done here in California, no exceptions. This is why we in California will never have approved BostigZetec retrofits on Vanagons and have to follow the Carb Standards on Subaru Conversions.

As Don said, it takes money to get the exceptions - Kennedy was willing to pay, but Bostig won't.

Eventually this will happen in the majority of states, sooner or later. I'm surprised that rule-happy Federal EPA just doesn't default to CARB standards, but I'm glad they don't.

My Quarter's Worth :) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: >  Not interesting maybe to the general readership of Vanagon list, but the > Wet Westies...this is us....and maybe an indicator for other states... > >  I just got my renewal notice for the vanagon registration and right > there....paraphrase... > >  "be advised if you buy a new car it MUST now comply with California Clean > Air standards to be registered in Washington state." > >   I certainly hope they don't intend to create the same type > inspection/compliance/arbitrary and inconsistent rule requirment nightmare, > nationwide, that California has with their CARB.... > >  Not that I, as a tradesman, will ever again be able to afford a new > vehicle on my 'worker-wages' but..... > >  Don Hanson