Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:17:13 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: No Clock & No Temp Gauge?
Comments: To: Clint Carson <clint.carson54@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:22 PM 3/8/2011, Clint Carson wrote: >90 MV, 2.1 No Clock & No Temp Gauge? I've broken something! I was >messing with the Gauge Cluster main plug wires ( think there's about >9 of them in the plug )

Twelve - fourteen pin plug, pins four and fourteen are open. Pinout on 90.18 as well as 97.208-9.

> and I think I must have shorted something out? I believe I had the > first blue wire and the second yellow wire switched and now, I have > no Clock and no Temp Gauge?

If you're right about the colors that would be pins 11 and 12 which are the alternator D+ and the high-pressure oil switch. I would not expect a problem to result from that.

>The Temp Gauge light flashes the 6 or 8 times and then goes out as >it should. But the Temp Gauge is pegged at the bottom and I have no >clock. Fuel Gauge Works! Oil light works. Battery light comes on. I >switched out a known good Cluster from another 90 and Same Results. >I also installed a different temp 1 sensor and a different coolant >tank sensor. But I feel the problem is in the wiring. I checked the >fuses and did not see any of them blown. Could they be powered by a >relay that is now bad? I would think it's the Voltage Stabilizer, >but everything works when I replace the tester cluster back into the >91. Any help is very much appreciated ! Thanks, Clint

Clock only needs power and ground. Fuel gauge works, so panel power is good, voltage regulator is good or at least supplying power. Temp gauge blinks and stops so panel power is good, voltage regulator good or at least supplying >/= 9.5v, panel ground is good.

You have an open in the temp gauge sender wiring. Turn on the ignition, verify ten volts on the temp gauge pins.

Back probe pin B7 (97.209, track 68) of the fuse-relay panel (see 97.201). If you see zero volts there, the open is between the gauge pin and the relay panel plug, probably at the instrument panel connector. Back probe the panel connector to see, pin 6 yellow/red.

Clock gets its power at pin 5 of the panel connector, red wire ultimately from interior lighting fuse S3 (97.209 tracks 56 and 79 et seq). Ground is good so it's a power problem. If the lights are working, back-probe pin five on the panel connector. If +12 there, either bad contact at the panel or a problem in the panel itself, less likely.

Report results...

Yrs, dgb