Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:54:58 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for LED Equivalent High Beam Indicator Bulb
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

At 02:49 PM 3/9/2011, Robert Stewart wrote: >I ordered the bulb from the VW dealer. It was around $7.50 and looks >nothing like the stock bulb. I am not sure if it an LED or Not but >it is totally clear and has a flat top. > >I have posted some photos of it so you can see the difference >between what I had and what they are now providing from VW.

You had a frosted one, now you have a clear one. I very much doubt you'll be able to tell the difference through the blue cover. FWIW - I wouldn't want to be held to this but I believe that's the first frosted one I've ever seen. P'raps someone stuck in something lying around in a parts box? Maybe that's why it's burnt out? Dunno. But I've been inside three panels recently and all three had clear bulbs.

Yours, David ps - absolutely no question it's an incandescent lamp. An LED will have a stamped usually cup-shaped substrate with a little cube of silicon on it and a tiny gold or aluminum wire extending over to the other terminal. If it's a white LED the whole thing will be covered with a greenish coat of phosphor. All the above will be encased in clear or colored epoxy or some other plastic, not a hollow glass envelope like an incandescent. Look at yours with a magnifying glass and you'll see the filament.